My child associates breastfeeding with the computer.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone is in this situation..

Since my son was about, oh, 2 months old, I have consistently nursed him while online - just using the boppy pillow latch him on, and voila, I'm doubletasking! I search the internet, he gets fed!

He is now 2 years and 1 month, and he has been fed about 90% of the time at the computer, occasionally in bed or watching TV.

When he was about 4 months old, he even whimpered to be fed when he saw the computer!!!!!!!

Am I damaging him???
#2 of 7 Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 PM

I don't know, as my ds is only 4 months, but if I am at home, he is nursed at the computer, so I'm curious what others say too.
#3 of 7 Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 PM

I was on the computer working or what not while my child was an infant.

She never associated nursing with the computer. She associates it with our video chats with her grandmom.

She does now associate sleep with milk which my husband thinks is a problem as he cannot get her to go to bed without me.
I told him that he needs to figure out a way to get her to go to bed, his style but when I'm on nighttime duty, nursing is probably the defacto routine.

That holds true for our naps.

signcirc1.giffly-by-nursing2.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif

Proud mom of an inquisitive, breastfeeding, babywearing, cosleeping 9 month old boy and a talkative curious 4 year old girl.

#4 of 7 Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 PM

my 20 month old pats the couch and turns on the laptop when he needs to nurse. I tell dh, look, he's making me get online!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#5 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM

Maybe when you're ready to wean you can just tell him the computer is broken! Easy.

I wish my 20mo DS would allow me to use the computer when he's feeding. He usually closes my screen or tries to run away with the laptop if I attempt to feed him while online.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#6 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM

I do this too w/my now 18 month old and feel somewhat guilty-- glad to know I'm not the only one.
#7 of 7 Old 09-02-2010, 11:17 AM

I used to nurse DS with a brestfriend propped up on the table and my laptop open. I had to stop it when he was about a year old because he outgrew the brestfriend and was getting too distracted by my surfing. He now associates nursing with going to our bed. So cute!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page