Toddler weaning while sick?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 17 month old DS has had a cold for the last few days. Normally he is all about nursing, especially at night, but also whenever he can get it! But when he got sick it was clearly harder for him to nurse when his nose was all stuffed up. He would still try, nurse for a bit, then pop off to breathe

For the last three nights he has not wanted or been able to nurse to go to sleep at night (which he usually does). But until last night, he would still work on nursing if he woke up after going to sleep. A few times he would just lie there with my nipple in his mouth, not latching on, but just letting it rest while he went back to sleep!

Yesterday morning he actually was nursing non-stop for over an hour from 5-6am. I was so exhausted since he kept me up most of the night, that I cut him off after 6am and left him with DH so I could get a couple of hours of sleep before needing to get up for work.

But then he hasn't nursed since! His nose is cleared up now, but he is still not feeling well. It's seems like it's moving down and maybe his throat is hurting. Regardless, I've offered numerous times and he just shakes his head no and turns away. He has never turned it down before! He is eating fine otherwise and sips juice/water from a straw without complaint.

I'm actually ok if this is the start of weaning, although I had hoped to make it to 24 months. But I am 10 weeks pregnant and had been contemplating night weaning in the next month or so so that I could hopefully get a few months of better sleep before starting all over. But it makes me sad to think that the last time he nursed would be a time when I was feeling frustrated and had to cut him off!

Anyone else had this experience with a sick toddler?? Should I keep pumping in case he wants to come back, or just go with it?

So I don't know. Is this just because he is sick? Or is he also starting to wean?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page