Correcting a 20mo's latch? And getting my supply back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was away from my 20 month old DS for the past 8 days. I've pumped 2x a day, which is less than he was nursing, but it was what I could do. I know my supply has dropped off, and I need to get it back.

He has been nursing constantly since I got home last night, but his latch is not good. He is getting 2 teeth, canines (finally!! They have taken forever) which has caused him to be rough on my nipples in the past. But this is different. I think he is keeping his tongue behind his bottom teeth, which is making it feel like he is biting me while he is nursing. My nipples are quickly getting torn up and the constant nursing is not helping that.

Any suggestions for getting his latch back to normal? And do you think nursing will help my supply bounce back or should I resort to other measures as well? Fenugreek? Nursing tea? Other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 AM

subbing....

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 AM

My DD is 21 months and her latch sorta did a bellyflp or something a couple of weeks ago.

Before she latched I would say, "Nigella, do this" and would show her a wide open mouth, and stick my tongue out a bit. She'd copy me, I'd let her latch. She wouldn't latch properly so I'd take her off and say, "no teeth, Nigella, like this!" and would show her again. Took awhile (and she still goes to a very toothy latch as she's falling asleep) but it's better.

And if she got screamy/upset, I'd let her do it her way. No reasoning with a crabby toddler.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

User Tag List