Does thrush hurt/irritate baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 99% sure we've got thrush. I'm not experiencing any real pain, but my little one has it in her diaper rash area and the tell-tale white spots in her mouth.

I also suspect this is why she hasn't been nursing as well....could that be true? I thought she was just teething or distracted, then I realized....thrush! Does it hurt babies or irritate them? Sometimes when we nurse, she fusses a little like she does when she is teething and I suspect it bothers her mouth. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Babygirlsmama

Babygirlsmama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's just like any yeast infection you get, so yes, it could itch and burn and be uncomfortable for baby-- especially if it's also in the diaper area.
#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I don't know for sure but I would suspect it itches. Mine does anyway. We've got a bad case here and I can hardly stand to nurse her at the moment.
#4 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It certainly can, though it doesn't always. I say break out the gentian violet and start treating it ASAP! I had severe thrush that I didn't even diagnose until it was pretty bad and then I went with the nystatin the ped (who told me I didn't have thrush when I explained our symptoms and then 5 minutes later looked in his mouth and said, as if I had not said a word, "Oh, he has thrush!") gave us...which only relieved part of the pain until 2 weeks later when it was done and then it got worse because it was in a glucose base which is totally counterproductive. Once I used the gentian violet it took a whole week to clear up but after that everything was fine! I kept it around and used it any time I suspected thrush and the symptoms would disappear almost immediately. Even if I wasn't totally sure I still used it because I didn't want to wait until it got bad to find out for sure.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page