12 month old nursing almost exclusively, doc threatening FTT - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
i just wanted to come back and say that millie eats LOADS of solids, too, and she only gained about 6 oz between 10 and 12 mos. so i don't think adding solids and taking away bmilk is the way to go.
True. Breastmilk generally has WAY more calories than most solids.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#32 of 42 Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again, guys. You all rule.

She did eat mashed potatoes and alfredo sauce at lunch today (she's a sauce girl) so I'm trying to get the calories in even if the amount is small!

My son ate loads of solids too and it just made no difference to his weight gain. It was always the same no matter what.....slow.

He was 19 pounds 10oz. at 9 months and 20 pounds 6 ounces at a year. So he slowed down too, though there was also a tummy bug in there somewhere.

I thought there was more to FTT than weight as well.
#33 of 42 Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 AM

Well, if your son also slowed down and is otherwise healthy, happy, growing, hitting milestones, etc., then obviously that's just how YOUR children grow. Seriously. Don't worry about it.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#34 of 42 Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 AM

like the others said if she is healthy and active she is fine. ds one ate almost nothing but BM until a year and a half and that's FINE.
i suggest finding another ped

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#35 of 42 Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorianna View Post
I just wanted to add that if you were really paranoid (which you shouldn't be), my lactation consultant used to weigh my DD before and after a nursing session to make me feel more confident that I was providing her enough milk by myself. It could be an easy option to satisfy your pediatrician if it took you a while to find and switch to another one- its an accepted method to tell how much your LO is consuming. Those scales are much less expensive than a pump
This is all I really wanted to add. Tell him if he is that concerned, find a way to rent you one of those fancy scales, and weigh her before and after she eats.

I also call shenanigans. EPing is the quick road to cranky mom and baby. Then probably a dwindling supply, and less milk for a baby who doesn't like solids yet. But then the DR can get you on formula, cow milk or even better, pediasure.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#36 of 42 Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I also call shenanigans. EPing is the quick road to cranky mom and baby. Then probably a dwindling supply, and less milk for a baby who doesn't like solids yet. But then the DR can get you on formula, cow milk or even better, pediasure.
This is it exactly. He doesn't know or care that what you described is exactly what would happen. In fact, he encourages weaning at 12 months and gets annoyed with moms who are still BFing 18 month olds.
#37 of 42 Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

There is much more to FTT, especially at that age. Even with a tiny one like DD (4 weeks onwards), it took months before they actually put FTT (with a ?) on a piece of paper. One dr threatened to do it though, some of them use it to bully parents.

There is a definition, even if I don't remember it (and DD NEVER fitted into it). It does talk about output, weight gain, development, strength and possibly more. If weight is the only issue, the medical def. is Slow Weight Gain, , and that is usually ok, a lot of babies just gain slowly!

I would just offer her food, if you stress about it, she's more likely to not want it! Just play with food. It took quite a while before DD was eating much solids, she was probably about 16-18 months old by then. And she could, and wanted to, feed herself from 6 months, she just didn't actually swallow that much of it until later.

And weight gain slowing down when they get more mobile, I thought that was the norm, most babies I've known have done that. Growth at 8m+ is very often in stops and starts - all of a sudden she might gain quite a lot!

Also, head circumference is most important, length comes next, weight is just the easiest indicator that something might possibly be wrong - any idiot can weigh and chart a baby (sorry that is for people like your ped, like our first ped and our first nurse).
#38 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 AM

This thread is making me feel better. I'm also from the same DDC as you. DS just had his one year appt a few days ago. he was 17lbs9oz. He was born at almost 8lbs, but by 3 months was a skinny baby. He was happy though and meeting milestones and still is. He's just skinny. He also is not interested in solids much. Every now and then he'll eat a "meal," but usually it's just a few bites here and there. Except cheerios. But yeah, he's mostly just nursing.

Like you, I can not get him to eat or nurse more than he already does. How do you force a baby to eat more? Even offering the breast more often didn't make him nurse anymore than he usually did. He knows when he's not hungry and he won't eat if he's not hungry. The dr is always telling me I need to feed him more more more. How??!!

I'm going off on my own little rant here.

ETA: Here is a recent picture in which he looks especially chunky (for him). Hopefully, he will continue to fill out.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#39 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 03:09 AM

You've mentioned several times that your son was also small. Sounds like simple heredity to me! If your son was small like your daughter, and he DID eat solid foods, then I would have absolutely zero concern about your daughter.

Keep offering food to her. Experiment with different tastes and textures (she may have a preference for bland foods, or perhaps strong flavored foods. She may not like purees and may prefer chunkier food) If you don't already, have her sit with the family in a chair during meal time, even if she just plays with a plastic spoon and doesn't actually eat anything. She will begin to get into the social aspect of eating, and seeing everyone else eat may entice her to try some.

FTT is a very vague term with no true medical definition. Seriously, if you google it you will find many different definitions. If she is growing in head circ, length, and is meeting milestones, then she is definitely NOT FTT. She may be low weight, perhaps even a constitutional growth delay, but not FTT.

How's your son doing now? How's his growth? Is there a family history of being small?

My middle son is very small for his age, 3.5 years, 26lbs, 36in. We had him tested for a growth hormone deficiency, and the tests uncovered delayed calcification of the bones, which is called constitutional growth delay. His bone age is between 18-24 months, which matches his height/weight. An Endocrinologist monitors his growth, but we've ruled out anything serious or treatable. He is *skinny*, there's no denying it, but knowing that there's no cause for concern has helped us all relax more about his growth.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#40 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

I just charted your DD on the WHO charts.

With the weights you provided:

9 months: 16 pounds 4 oz = 7.37 kg - on the 15th percentile
10 months: 16 pounds 10 oz = 7.54 kg - on the 15th percentile
12 months: 16 pounds 14 oz = 7.69 oz - just below 15th percentile (less than 100 grams below)

Honestly, this "dip" is so tiny it may just be a case of your DD having a full bladder/bowel at the time, versus just having eliminated the earlier time.

However, it is totally normally that children drop a bit on the charts, at various times (different times from child to child, so not necessarily following the percentile!) once the child gets more mobile, around 8 months - 2 years. Usually, according to the dr we saw (very mainstream), they catch up over time, and she recommended that we weigh DD in about 1-3 months if WE were worried (she wasn't).

DD was tiny all along, below 3rd percentile for most of her first year. Her "dip" happened around 18-20 months (by which time she was up close to the 15th percentile) , she even lost a little bit of weight. She gained it back and is now in the middle between 15th and 50th percentile.
#41 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
I just charted your DD on the WHO charts.

With the weights you provided:

9 months: 16 pounds 4 oz = 7.37 kg - on the 15th percentile
10 months: 16 pounds 10 oz = 7.54 kg - on the 15th percentile
12 months: 16 pounds 14 oz = 7.69 oz - just below 15th percentile (less than 100 grams below)

Honestly, this "dip" is so tiny it may just be a case of your DD having a full bladder/bowel at the time, versus just having eliminated the earlier time.

However, it is totally normally that children drop a bit on the charts, at various times (different times from child to child, so not necessarily following the percentile!) once the child gets more mobile, around 8 months - 2 years. Usually, according to the dr we saw (very mainstream), they catch up over time, and she recommended that we weigh DD in about 1-3 months if WE were worried (she wasn't).

DD was tiny all along, below 3rd percentile for most of her first year. Her "dip" happened around 18-20 months (by which time she was up close to the 15th percentile) , she even lost a little bit of weight. She gained it back and is now in the middle between 15th and 50th percentile.
Ooooh, thank you for charting her! I did too got the same basic thing you did but with her always needing attention it's annoying to have to do conversion then plot it, etc.

Someone asked about my son's growth. He's going to turn 4 in December, and weighs 33 pounds naked. He's about 38.5 inches tall. According the charts the doc uses, he's about 10th for weight, 25th height. (And 90-something head, lol, just like his daddy). My husband had the exact same growth. In fact, Harrison was 1 pound heavier than my husband was at 9 months and my husband was formula fed. I don't worry about my son. He eats pretty well, and he's pretty comparably sized to his preschool classmates (even those older than him). He can wear 3t and 4T shirts, but is 3T in pants. Other than people constantly mistaking him for a girl because he's pretty and has long, shaggy hair, he's good.

Also, my husband is about 5' 9" now. He was short and skinny in elementary school. This smallness is just not surprising. Also, my brother and sister were always extremely skinny, to the point where they had tests run to make sure it was nothing serious. It wasn't. Just skinniness. Believe me, with age the metabolism slows down!

As for solids, we're plugging along. She eats a bit....tonight she was picking up each lentil and was putting in her mouth but I'm unsure how many she actually ingested. She LOVES playing in food though, she was an absolute mess tonight. She also really enjoys rich tastes, like Alfredo sauce and mashed potatoes. Goat cheese. She's definitely attempting to put more and more foods in her mouth, like Cheerios, bits of crumbled tater tot....anything we are eating. We had our first OT visit the other day and the OT seemed a bit unclear about why her services were necessary. And given that I have done/am doing basically EVERYTHING she suggested, I have to agree.
#42 of 42 Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM

My son was bigger at a year (19.5lbs), but he only gained 8oz in 4 MONTHS! I don't think this is unusual. I agree with everyone else who said that the big picture of the child must be taken into account. It seems not much of anyone in my town is happy with the three pediatricians here, but our current ped (the second one we've gone to) wasn't freaked out about my son's slow weight gain, even though he did drop quite a bit in the percentiles. He was average in height for the first several months, and 50th-60th percent on weight, so a good size. On the WHO breastfed baby charts, he was around the 50th for weight and height at 8mo. But at 12mo, he was still the 50th for height, but only the 20th for weight. But he is super active, very engaged with everything and everyone around him, etc. The pediatrician said we should keep an eye on his weight, but that since he kept pace on height, he would probably be fine.

At 14mo, he had gained over 1lb (to about 20lbs 12oz) and 3/4" in 2 months. So he's still on the smaller side - probably around the 15th percentile for weight, 40th for height - but I'm not so worried. He's also starting to eat a lot more solids, although he's still nursing at least 5-7 times per day!

I would be a bit careful about giving her too many less-healthy calories. I read somewhere that even for skinny toddlers, foods with unhealthy fats can predispose them to having weight and/or other health issues later in life. I've given my son stuff he likes laced with additional healthy fats - like a dash of olive oil mixed with some applesauce, squished-up avocado mixed into soups or purees he likes, etc.

That said, hopefully your LO will start liking solids more soon. The difference in the amount of solids my son wanted to eat, and the variety he would eat, between 12-14mo was a huge difference. But, breastmilk is one of the more nutrient-dense things she can be taking in, so nursing (with healthy, higher-nutrient solids) is one of the best things you can be doing for her. That's part of why I have continued nursing my son - it gives him a nutritional base to draw from, even on the days when he doesn't want to eat the healthier, more nutrient-dense solids!

And the whole "pump so you know what she's getting" thing is absolutely BOGUS. Letting down for your child is NOT the same as letting down for the pump, so it's like comparing apples to oranges. And breastmilk changes hourly, daily, weekly - it's not static like formula or cow's milk. Pumping to give the doctor some kind of "evidence" based on the totally wrong idea that what you pump is what your daughter is taking in (when she is almost certainly taking in more), that breastmilk has the same nutritional composition all the time, etc. is beyond inappropriate.

Give this moron of a doctor the boot. Someone like this is downright dangerous.

Keep offering her healthy, high-nutrient foods. It may take a while before she wants more of them, but that's not unusual, keep trying. You may want to try offering hummus (by itself or with crackers or pita), bean dip, thick bean soup, avocado puree or dip, beans as finger food, etc. She may also do better as she starts to learn to feed herself - both finger foods and thick purees with her hands or a spoon. My son is starting to like dipping things, and definitely likes that he's becoming more and more adept at feeding himself with a spoon. Especially in the last few weeks, he's really started packing it away!

Good luck.

30-something remarried widow, wife to L. Mom to IVF baby S. , born summer 2009. Would love to eventually become a lactation consultant. Hoping to have a second without technology this time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page