Anyone done the Master Cleanse while breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My seventh baby is 19 months old and still breastfeeding 2-4 times a day. I've done the Master Cleanse several times in the past, but never done one while breastfeeding, not being sure if it is okay to do as there are mixed messages regarding that. I've never heard anything from someone who has actually done the MC while breastfeeding, though, and I wondered if anyone in here has any experiences they can share concerning it. ?
#2 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving out to Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy, as this is not a CLW issue.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 6 Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM

I did the MC for just 4 days this fall, and my DS is still nursing at night. He's 2y9m, however, so the volume he gets is probably pretty low at this point. The MC didn't seem to effect my supply, but I did wait until now to do it because I was concerned with the detoxing issue.

Humbly parenting Abraham (1/08), learning to be gentle and creative.  At least I got a good man to hold my hand.  Married to Ben (8/06). 

#4 of 6 Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oops, sorry for having posted in the wrong section. I'm seldom here so haven't gotten used to all the different sections that are available and just saw "breastfeeding" in the title and went with that.

Thanks for your input VTmamadownsouth. Are you doing the Master Cleanse right now?
#5 of 6 Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 AM

So, did you do the MC afterall? I did one to years ago and loved it. My daughter is 18 months and I have been having severe allergies and congestion. I want to do the cleanse again but nervous about losing my supply. As for toxins Im not too worried since she is getting toxins from me taking medications to deal with all my ailments...

#6 of 6 Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM

I considered doing it while breastfeeding and after a lot of thought and research decided against it. Did it 3 different times before my pregnancy but not since. My DS is now 23 months and still nursing frequently. This is why I decided not to:

1. Higher caloric and nutritional requirements for breastfeeding - pregnancy and breastfeeding are a time for building up the body and storing reserves - although we may not realize it - breastfeeding is physically demanding - cleansing might simply be too much for your body during this time and be more taxing than healing.

2. Toxins that have been stored in your body can potentially be released into the bloodstream and pass into breastmilk in much larger quantities than your child is being exposed to now.

3. the laxative herbs recommended for using with the cleanse are not recommended for use during breastfeeding.

4. possible reduction of milk supply

5. increased need for rest during cleansing which may be difficult if your child is still night-waking or only recently stopped and you're still feeling behind in sleep.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page