I think we're back to nursing after a 2 month break, does this happen? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, 

My guy weaned in September when I was 3 months pregnant.  It was with my urging, but it was completely easy and natural, and he essentially weaned by choosing to read a book over nursing every time he initially asked to nurse.  At that point my nipples were very, very sensitive and I just didn't want to nurse anymore.

So here we are two months later, and I am NAK.  I have offered 'nanas' a few times in the past two months when he showed interest, but it seemed that he had forgotten how to latch.  This morning was a rough morning for him and so I offered to let him nurse.  Not only did he remember how this time, but he has no interest in stopping, it's been like 20 minutes.  I'm not making milk, so it is not the most pleasant experience for me.

I'm concerned that since I had low supply with him when he was an infant that I will not be able to tandem nurse.  I'm worried that I should not have offered this morning, but it is so sweet at the same time.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#2 of 4 Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 AM

love.gif aww, what a sweet picture you describe!

Did you resolve your low supply?  Do you know what caused it?  For some mamas, having a toddler nurse after the new baby actually helps to increase their supply faster.  If you want to tandem nurse, there are mamas here who have done it/are doing it who can share with you how it works.

hug.gif Pregnancy was hard for me - I can't imagine being pregnant with a nursling too.  Be sure to take care of yourself, Mama!  hug.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM

Currently tandem nursing an almost 3 with a 7 week old...

If anything, nursing a toddler seems to INCREASE my supply -- it's just like they tell you to pump every 2 hours and nurse every other 2 hours if your supply is low. DS1 is like a very efficient breast pump! I wouldn't worry about supply issues. Cross that bridge only if you have to. In theory, there is no reason to think it will be a problem.

And yeah, it hurts! I had no milk from 14 to 28 weeks, then a bit of colostrum (not much). I had to bite my tongue to get through all those sessions, and eventually implemented time limits (which I am thankful for, as the irked feeling is even stronger now for me). Good luck!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#4 of 4 Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldingoddess View Post

Hi, 

My guy weaned in September when I was 3 months pregnant.  It was with my urging, but it was completely easy and natural, and he essentially weaned by choosing to read a book over nursing every time he initially asked to nurse.  At that point my nipples were very, very sensitive and I just didn't want to nurse anymore.

So here we are two months later, and I am NAK.  I have offered 'nanas' a few times in the past two months when he showed interest, but it seemed that he had forgotten how to latch.  This morning was a rough morning for him and so I offered to let him nurse.  Not only did he remember how this time, but he has no interest in stopping, it's been like 20 minutes.  I'm not making milk, so it is not the most pleasant experience for me.

I'm concerned that since I had low supply with him when he was an infant that I will not be able to tandem nurse.  I'm worried that I should not have offered this morning, but it is so sweet at the same time.

Just wondering what does "NAK" mean?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page