20-month-old losing interest... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My seventh baby is now 20 months old.  So far, she's gone the longest out of all her siblings as far as still breastfeeding.  The rest of them quit by about 18 months at the longest.  I leave it up to them when they want to quit, but I always HOPE they're gonna keep going longer... as is the case right now... This little girl is losing interest in breastfeeding.  She feeds first thing when she wakes up, usually around 7:30 or 8:00 am, and only goes maybe three or four minutes a side, max, lately.

We lay down together for another feed before nap time around noonish.  She takes maybe one or two minutes a side, but sometimes not even a taste.

Then again at bedtime in the evening, we lay down together for some milkies.  Again, barely a minute or two per side.

I'm wondering if it's more ME wanting her to keep going, or is there benefit for her in the little bit of milk she's getting right now.

#2 of 3 Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM

I definitely think there's still a benefit.  She's still getting immune cells (many immune factors actually increase to higher levels as milk supply diminishes, some even higher than in colostrum).  And she's getting that closeness and special time with Mommy, which is so valuable no matter how much milk she gets. 

I love this quote from Kathy Dettweiler (http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html):

The trend during the first two years is clearly for continuing benefits the longer you nurse. Clearly the phenomenon of dimishing returns is at work here -- the first six months of breastfeeding are clearly much more important in terms of the baby's nutrition and immunological development than the six months from 3.5 to 4.0 years. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't continue to provide breast milk if your baby wants and you don't mind. It would be like saying, "Well Mabel, we don't get very much income from that oil well anymore. Used to get $56 a month in royalties, now we're lucky if we get $25 a year. Guess we should tell that oil company just to keep their durn money." And Mabel says, in return "Good grief, Clyde, don't be ridiculous. That check still buys $25 worth of food. Where has your mind gone to now?"

Enjoy this special time with her, no matter how long it lasts.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#3 of 3 Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Cheri.  That was a very inspiring message.

Tags
Breastfeeding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page