2yo nursling and my 9-day vacation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son, at 26 months, nurses 1-3 times a day. I am happy with it for the most part, though part of me is starting to feel 'done'. If he really wanted to continue I would be okay with that but if he stopped I'd also be okay with it (though a little sad). 

I'm going overseas for 9 days, alone, starting next week. I don't know what to do about nursing. The longest he's ever gone without 'mama' (his word for bf) is 1.5 days. He will be in the care of his father, who he has a very good bond with. I have no idea how DS is going to react to not having his 'mama' for that long, if he will be upset or not even notice much. He's not very verbal, even for a 2-year-old, so I worry that he won't be able to tell DH if he is really upset about it. When I've been gone for a day or so in the past he's been fine, hasn't cried or seemed affected by it. 

I'm also worried about what's going to happen to my breasts while I'm gone. I've already decided that I'm not going to pump while I'm gone but am terrified of engorgement, mastitis, etc.. What should I expect in that regard? How can I ease the pain and chance of leaking, etc..? And if DS does dive down my top when I get back and wants to nurse again, am I likely to still have any milk? What kind of body and hormonal changes can I expect to go through in the time he is not nursing and again when (if) he starts up again? 

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#2 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM

sooo im thinking you can't not get engorged unless you express milk somehow...

also thinking DS will not be able to handle being away from YOU or 'mama' for 9 days. he's awfully young...im assuming this is an absolutely necessary trip...

i think this is going to be alot harder for you're DS than you are anticipating. he wont even have you for comfort nvm milk.

you may have milk when you get back it depends on the person. im sure there will at least be a supply issue...dont be surprised if DS nurses a ton when you return...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

sooo im thinking you can't not get engorged unless you express milk somehow...

also thinking DS will not be able to handle being away from YOU or 'mama' for 9 days. he's awfully young...im assuming this is an absolutely necessary trip...

i think this is going to be alot harder for you're DS than you are anticipating. he wont even have you for comfort nvm milk.

you may have milk when you get back it depends on the person. im sure there will at least be a supply issue...dont be surprised if DS nurses a ton when you return...

I know I'll likely get engorged, I am simply asking for some tips for dealing with that. 

My son will be just fine without me. His father (my husband) has a great bond with him and is perfectly capable of looking after him. I'm not worried about that, just the nursing side of it. 

To be honest, whether my trip is necessary or not is beside the point. The fact remains that I will be gone and would just like some guidance on how to deal with engorgement, etc.. while away. 

#4 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM

I think to this point is  jut pump a little bit to don't get engorgement, but no to empty your breast.The other thing is yor and your DS are ready from complete weaning that might be happened with a 9 days separation.

I can't offer to you any other advice. I never separate from my DS (26 mo) that is not even close to weaning yet.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#5 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, CrazyMumOfTwo. :) Hand expression is a good idea, thanks. Now, my big concern -- what if I need to hand express on my transatlantic flight or in the airport? I guess I'd have to do that in the toilet. Yuck! I just pray to god that there aren't any crying babies on my flight or I might need a new shirt. lol 

#6 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 05:22 PM

I just saw a question on the other breastfeeding board about nursing "pads" that collect the extra milk.  They are like flat cups.  Maybe wearing those will keep you comfortable and at least let you're breasts know you still need them?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#7 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM

When my son weaned at 27 months, it was a very gradual process-- so we had a few weeks of definitely just one nursing a day (as opposed to 1 - 3) before he was done. So my situation might be different. Nonetheless, I thought it was worth mentioning that I didn't have any engorgement problems whatsoever after he weaned; I just wasn't producing much milk anymore. I STILL have a tiny, tiny bit of milk in my breasts almost 6 months later, but no engorgement/ leaking/ etc. So just thought I'd mention that it is *possible* you won't even have to worry about it, which would be lovely!

If you do have to worry about it, it seems like hand expression is definitely the way to go. Wear breast pads and maybe just bring along a small plastic or paper cup in case you do need to express in the airport bathroom.

#8 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap150 View Post

When my son weaned at 27 months, it was a very gradual process-- so we had a few weeks of definitely just one nursing a day (as opposed to 1 - 3) before he was done. So my situation might be different. Nonetheless, I thought it was worth mentioning that I didn't have any engorgement problems whatsoever after he weaned; I just wasn't producing much milk anymore. I STILL have a tiny, tiny bit of milk in my breasts almost 6 months later, but no engorgement/ leaking/ etc. So just thought I'd mention that it is *possible* you won't even have to worry about it, which would be lovely!

If you do have to worry about it, it seems like hand expression is definitely the way to go. Wear breast pads and maybe just bring along a small plastic or paper cup in case you do need to express in the airport bathroom.

Thank you, that's a good point. I have no idea whether I'll get engorged or not. I'm a doula and back in August when I was at a birth for about 18 hours I did get quite engorged but then at my next one in October I was gone for about the same amount of time and didn't feel full at all. So who knows! Hopefully it won't be a problem. I think I'll take breast pads, a spare shirt, a muslin cloth and a cup to express into, just in case. Thank you for the tips. thumb.gif

#9 of 10 Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 AM

I had a similar situation happen when my son was almost 26 mo. My 2 wk old dd had to be hospitalized out of town for 10 days. My ds didn't have "nah nah" for 8 or 9 of those days. Even with my dd nursing round the clock, I was fairly engorged. I realize that I had just had a baby. When we were all reunited, my ds nursed with a vengance. The first few days, I used a rental pump to pump. I had gotten so engorged. That is the most painful thing ever. I do recommend at least expressing a little to ease the pain, and maybe a little more to control the leakage. I definitely second good nursing pads.

I guess the point I am trying to make is your son may still need to nurse. My son is still going strong and he is now 34 mo. He nurses 2-3 times a day. However, he doesn't seem to notice if he stays the night over at his gma. Good luck. Have a good trip.

Treece

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#10 of 10 Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 AM
~pi

Every body is different, but I have done a couple dozen business trips with a nursing child at home, so, for what it is worth, here is how traveling has worked for me:

18mo: first full day away (5a-10p), quite uncomfortable by about 6p, had not brought a pump with me (a decision I regretted), made do with some hand expression, which helped a little, but did not solve the problem

22mo: one night away, pumped at bedtime and in morning for comfort

23mo: 4 days away, needed to pump once or twice a day for comfort, by the end probably could have gone without pumping

26mo: 4 days away, brought the pump but did not need it

3-4 years: 5-7 days away once each month, no pumping, no hand expression, just a little extra perkiness by the end of each trip

Whenever I pumped, I just dumped the milk. I didn't want to have to bother bringing it home through airport security, and I didn't need it.

In all cases, DS was OK without nursing, and happily picked back up when I came home. I always still had milk. He is still nursing at age 4, but it's a very different ballgame now. I don't have the supply that I did when he was younger, but he only nurses at bedtime and in the morning, so demand is way down, too.

In your shoes, if I were good at hand expression, I would perhaps plan for that, but for me, the pump was definitely better than hand expression, so if my first trip were 9 days, I would want a pump, too, just in case.

Wishing you a good trip!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page