Help- 18 mo dd wont eat- only wants to nurse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD has really never been a good eater - I started trying baby food around 6 months & she really never liked it.  I could maybe get her to eat some fruits daily, but that was about it.  I've always offered her food at every meal, sat her in her highchair wiht the rest of the family, & she'd take a few bites (and by that I mean maybe 1 or 2) and then be finished.  She was close to 9lbs at birth & by 6 months was 15lbs or so, but at 18 months she is just over 20lbs.  She's always nursed well & I have always had a good milk supply.  She nurses on demand daily, and usually once in teh middle of the night (but sometimes she sleeps through the night)

At her 12month doc appt - my ped said to maybe try weaning her a little bit so that shes not nursing so much during the day so that she's hungry enough to eat people food.  I tried that but it really did not work, she would stiill just take a few bites- so really she ate teh same amt & nursed less - i felt that was not the right combination so i went back to nursing on demand. 

Im just at a loss - i dont know what to do.  I still offer her food at every meal, but it ends up in the trash most of the time.  She is so picky with what she will eat that Im finding that Im offering her less than healthy options just so that she will eat SOMETHING.  tonight the beef stew with veggies etc was completely untouched  & she had ice cream for dinner.

Im getting ready to have her 18month dr appt & im feeling like the dr. is going to pressure me to wean (which i will not do of course - i bf ds till 3yo)

My other children did not do this at all - they eat most of what I offer.  We usually eat healthy - whole grains, fruits, veggies, dairy, meat 2-3 times a week & i hate that all dd will go for is junk...

sorry for rambling - i just dont know what to do & why she is completly uninterested in food

ETA:  I also wanted to add that Im concerned a bit more about this because I got pregnant wtih dd when DS was 19months & she is now approaching that - i think i may become pregnant again in the near future & my supply will drop to almost nothing - so when my milk supply is gone, will she have no nutrition? :(  Maybe that will be the day she decides to eat

Mama to Jocelyn 3/04-5/04, Lucy 3/05, Nate 1/07, Tessa 5/09 , due 12/2011!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you tried Juice or Milk.  My son  loved milk with ovaltine.  Maybe some popsicles?  You could also try some breast milk in a cup?  My son LOVED sweet potato puffs - he wasn't a huge baby foo fan once he could eat finger foods.  We also mixes breast food with his baby food like rice cereal.   She is a bit young but if she can understand it you can say if you eat these 3 things then you can nurse. 

Good luck,

Jenn

earthycrunchymama.com

Jenn
Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mom to Cole, 3, and Max 6 months
earthycrunchymama.com

Tags
Food Items , Breastfeeding

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page