Anyone breastfeeding through a rotating visitation schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-16-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A couple weeks ago I left the father of my almost 3yo son and moved two states away. I am still breastfeeding (2+ times during the day, at nap/bedtime, and throughout the night), and would like to continue until my son self-weans. Of course, his father wants time with him, but due to the distance (8 hr drive) it can't just be a day or two here and there.

Currently, my son is visiting his father for a week. That was the max I would agree to since he's never been away from me for more than two days. I'm pumping a bit while he's gone so my milk supply doesn't dry up, but I'm not getting much out. I guess I'm worried that by the end of the week he'll not want to nurse anymore! Or, since he's not ready to self-wean, will he pick up where he left off after being away?

(Note: His father wants him to be done with breastfeeding. He supported it from the beginning, but for the past year or so has started making comments about how he's too old, etc., so I don't know how he's talking about it to our son. greensad.gif)

I would appreciate any suggestions or shared experiences!

Krista
SAHM to DS: 02/20/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My ds is only 23mo, and his father lives close by, but we have been separated for up to 8days before (which is SO hard, so I know how you feel right now!), and he always just picks up BF'ing INSTANTLY when he see's me again (as in, WANT TO NURSE NOW!!!! when we get to our apartment!)

I wouldn't worry, and even if he does wean, he was probably ready.  You've done a great job nursing him this long!!

Tags
Breastfeeding

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page