Breast Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 22 month old DD is a champion nurser and we have (thankfully!) had a very easy time of it.  However, in the past week, my right nipple has been really hurting.  The best way to describe the pain is that it feels like she constantly biting me (she will switch over to the left and I don't feel the pain).  My breast isn't swollen and there's no discoloration of my nipple.  It just really hurts.  I've hand expressed, and it seems like I have plenty of milk.  My right breast does produce more than my left.

My only thought is that it might be a signal my cycle is returning, but that could be wishful thinking.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks!

#2 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Hmmm...I haven't had the exact experience, but I can brainstorm w/you! Can you think of any event that could have contributed? Any recent pumping on that side or other breast stimulation that may have made your nipple more susceptible to pain? It is certainly possible to have a thrush infection on only one side with or w/o discoloration. Some women describe it as feeling like glass on their nipples when baby nurses (lovely visual I know) Here's a place to start investigating. Good luck!

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~
#3 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Carrierwright - Thank you so much for the link - I'm going to try and find gentian violet tomorrow!

#4 of 4 Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Moving to BBI, as per the forum guidelines

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Tags
Breast Pumps , Breast Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page