1st baby was premature; pregnant now, still b'feeding - should I wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is a question from my friend:

My OBGYN wants me to ween right away because I had PPROM (preterm premature rupture of membranes) with my last pregnancy at 34 wks. This was after multiple (5 an hour several hours / day) Braxton Hicks contractions for at least a month prior. Reaching out to everyone for ideas and experiences with this. My homebirth midwife thinks it is okay to continue breastfeeding as long as I have no contractions, but my OBGYN says I'm taking too great a risk. I still nurse my 28mo between 5-7x a day (only 2-3 real feeds, but nipple stimulation 5-7x a day). La Leche League said I should get more informed info, so any informed or experienced mamas out there? I don't want to wean, but will to protect the baby. I am 12 weeks. Thanks in advance. Trying not to stress, but realize I might need to make up my mind very soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've nursed through two full-term pregnancies and am now nursing 17 weeks into a third. My milk mostly dries up around 13 weeks and I don't get colostrum till much later but my babes have all still liked the comfort. 

FWIW, OBs get very little instruction in breastfeeding during their training. Not sure where the myth "you have to wean if preg" got started and why it's perpetuated, but it's a myth.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

User Tag List