Putting some limits on nursing for 15 month old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With both of my kids I've just nursed on demand basically. No schedules no limits. But, I'm really feeling like I need to put some limits on my son. He is 15 months old and he is just nursing constantly.  I try to distract him with food, with play, but he won't give up.  And the worst part is that he likes to switch back and forth a lot.  The worst part is when we are out. It seems he uses nursing when he doesn't like something...like he always wants to nurse when we are at Costco.

I would like some tips or a recommendation for some good articles or books.  I want to still nurse him to 2 years at least, but I don't want my life to be controlled by his constant demands for "nursies."

#2 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Recently (in the last week) I have been limiting nursing to first thing in the morning, and right before bed. in between he gets solids and OJ or water. It has helped that we have had some very busy days so he has been distracted. I have started carrying snacks and sippy cups with us while we are out so if he gets the munchies then, I am prepared. (I know, really, it is so much easier sometimes to just sit some where and nurse, but I am feeling pretty close to done and hope that limiting the sessions will help me feel better about continuing to nurse).

He has not yet refused an alternate food and demanded to nurse. I will say, if he did, I absolutely would nurse him - but he hasn't seemed at all bothered by the lack of daytime nursing.

I haven't any books, and while I have not looked there for this topic, kellymom's website is a wealth of all breastfeeding related info.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 AM

that was the age that I cut my DD down to overnight (including morning in bed), naptime and bedtime.  I didn't make a big deal out of it, very matter of fact.  I knew it was either that or wean fully.  She wasn't happy about it initially but like most kids she adjusted quickly.  I dealt with her protests like I do any other.  Distraction, comfort.  And I was just very straight up about it "We'll nurse at naptime" and then that was it.

I never allowed switching, twiddling or nursing in grocery stores lol.  So that was long gone at that age.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#4 of 4 Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM

I know exactly what you are talking about. My DD is now 16 months old and about 3 weeks ago I got to the point where I couldn't just let her nurse when ever she wanted. I was very conflicted about it. She also likes to switch A LOT and twiddle the other nipple while she nurses and she can go on and on and on without stopping. When we are out and about she doesn't want to nurse very much but it is when we are home and we are home a lot, so I had to set some limits.

I stated that I will nurse her right away in the morning, to nap, to sleep at night and throughout the night as she needs. I stuck very close to this plan. She doesn't it like it. She will cry and pull at my shirt or follow me around and I am sorry she is so upset about it but I really need to do this for me. Some days I will give her a little more throughout the day but if I do that to much she expects me to do it all of the time.

I think that if you set a firm plan for yourself on how you want to limit his nursing than you will feel a lot better about it. Good luck. It can be so hard to say no but sometimes you just have to. :)

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page