How to stopping pumping at work without leakage and pain? And then wean DS all together? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have gradually been weaning my 19 month old DS. He doesn't nurse much in the daytime anymore so I would like to stop pumping at work but do I just do it cold-turkey? I work from 8:00-6:00 twice a week and pump at 1:00 on those days. How do I make it through the day without pumping? I know how I feel if I pump late so I'm afraid of how it will be if I don't do it at all? Any suggestions?

Also, while I am at work, my mom feeds him my expressed milk in a bottle still. Usually one bottle durning that day with his other food. Do I simply replace that breastmilk with regular milk (we use goat's milk) and maybe use a sippy cup instead of a bottle? I am just not sure how to do that either.

We are doing pretty good with the "don't offer, don't refuse" method, but I think the bedtime and middle of the night nursings are going to be the toughest for him and elimating pumping at work is going to be the toughest for me!

I have a hard time finding information on how the mothers deals with the milk while weaning.

#2 of 3 Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM

if you are going to stop pumping, I would gradually decrease how much you are pumping, so that your supply has a gradual decrease for that time of day. though if he's still taking a bottle when you're gone, I would guess that he isn't ready to wean, so finishing weaning may be difficult. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 3 Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

I just stopped pumping at work. I took a week to "wean the pump," where I pushed the pumping session back later and later--from 1pm to a bit later to a bit later until the end of the week where I was going through to 4.30; to pump after that is too late (because I'm just about to go home). The first week with no pumping, I was full and a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day (and I kept nursing pads on hand), but now in week two, I'm much less uncomfortable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page