Curious -- How often does your Toddler nurse? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little guy is almost 15 months.  He eats 3+ meals of solid foods a day, but definitely still gets the majority of his nutrition from nursing.  He nurses 6-8 times during daytime, including 2 naps at the breast.  During the night he nurses 6-10 times, depending on how many times he nursed during the day.  Reading the posts of other mamas it is clear that every baby is different.  The number of feedings means little, as one baby might eat for a few minutes and another might eat for 30, and who knows how much milk they are really getting.  If you are nursing on cue, making your milk available, and providing nutritious options for solid foods, you baby is probably getting what she needs.

#32 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 PM

My almost 18 month old nurses first thing in the morning and at bed time and occasionally during the day if very tired or if he hurts himself.

I work part time and we have night weaned.  I don't see him stopping any time soon.

#33 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM

I have also wondered what's "normal" for this age, but I guess it really depends. My 16m DS still nurses a lot. Probably every 2 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night (on average), but this varies a lot. Some weeks he'll eat a lot of solids and slow down with the nursing and some weeks, he'll refuse most food and want to nurse all the time. (Generally, though he's been slow to accept solids and prefers to nurse.)  I am letting him direct this so far.  He always nurses to fall asleep and on waking.  He tends to nurse a lot during those sessions, but all the other times during the day is usually a quick "hit" of milk before he's back to playing. And if we go someplace brand new to him he always wants to nurse, so we still so a lot of NIP. But I think this nursing for comfort is very important to him. It really gets him past the initial fears of something unknown.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#34 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 02:59 PM

What about at 9.5 months? I am wondering if I am feeding her too much or too less. Soon after waking, then solid breakfast, then to go down for a nap, then soon after waking (some times), then solid lunch, then for another nap, soon after waking, solid dinner, to fall asleep, 1-3 times at night. That's how many - 5-8 nursing sessions, 3 solid food sessions. I am not sure if I am giving too much or too less of either sustenance. The first of the day and after afternoon nap, sometimes in the middle of the night (just before I go to bed), are the fullest feeds she takes. Other times, some times it is for a longer time, some times not.

CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, combination of BWing and stroller-using mama to DD, 05/2010. Pursuing a back to nature lifestyle.
#35 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 PM

My daughter will be 3 in 2 months. She nurses when falling asleep and usually once during the night, and when she wakes up. She usually nurses at least 1or 2 other times during the day.  I'm hoping to wean soon, since it is hard on my body. (I've been nursing on 1 side only for about a year since I had eczema on one nipple and wasn't able to use it. Now she refuses that side because it doesn't produce much and probably tastes different.) Having her lay on one arm nearly all night is totally tweaking my back. Also, I've had eczema since a month or 2 after she was born. (never had it before in my life). I'm getting treated with acupuncture and experimenting with modifying my diet. I think nursing is depleting my body- as much as I love it.

#36 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM

I don't think you can really nurse them too much. Its a great safetly net to know your child is getting good nutrition when they first start eating regular foods. Kids at this age are great because they really won't over eat (solid food or milk). I think its important to intoduce a variety of healthy foods at that age, and its great to have the milk as a back up. It sounds like you are doing fine. Just listen to your child. they know what they need!

#37 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM

My almost 3 yr old nurses 3-5 times a day: 1 at nap if napping at home, 1 to go to sleep at night, 1-2 in the night and 1 upon waking up in the am.

loving mommy to DD (3/08), brokenheart.gif our little strawberry (7/10). brokenheart.gif little seedling (10/10). brokenheart.gif little pear (4/11). Praying for a Rainbow - due Nov!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***rainbow1284.gif**

#38 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM

This is the thread that I needed to read right now. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone, though I would like advise on weaning (especially at night) two very determined and addicted-to-BF 19-month-old girls. My son weaned at 16 months really easily, though he was as obsessed and committed to BF. (We started encouraging him to move on when we found out we were having twins...I don't have 3 breasts and I was not wanting to deal with weaning and jealousy when they were born.) Anyway, even at 16 months, my son was only feeding 3-4 times a day and a couple of times at night. These girls want it every second. It's like it's their default when they're bored. And they feed all night. So, with 2, I'm lucky to get 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

It's not working for me any more...maybe I could be more patient if we night weaned. There are lots of things that become intolerable when you're not sleeping enough. Any advice for night weaning twin 19-month olds? Help!

#39 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 PM

Wow, I had no idea so many toddlers this age still nurse that often. My son is 13 months old and nursesabout twice a day. Once when he wakes up in the am, once when he goes to bed and sometimes for a afternoon snack after he wakes up from his nap.

kristin

#40 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM

My DD will turn 3 this month and she would like to nurse at least 10 times a day. Usually for at least 20 minutes, often longer. She would be latched on probably about 50% of her life right now if I let her. smile.gif I'm trying to cut back to only every 3 hours and shorter sessions, more like 10-15 minutes. She still nurses every 3 hours at night too. For about a year I was actively trying to nightwean her, but she would just stay awake for 5-6 hours straight at night and not go to sleep till I nursed her in the morning. It was awful so I gave up. I've heard that around 3 a lot of kids do start to sleep all night, though...hope springs eternal I guess! I'm still hoping!

But cutting back on daytime nursing has actually helped for me, at least my boobs aren't sore all the time.

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#41 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Every chance she gets. orngtongue.gif

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#42 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My 16 month old ds nurses 20+ in 24 hours. He doesn't eat a lot of solids yet and also is teething.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#43 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM

My DD is now 2 years and 1 month old.  She's down to nursing only once a day at bedtime.  Although sometimes she asks for nee-nees (as she calls them) whenever the mood strikes or she's in need of some comfort.

#44 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM

at 17 months I cut DS nursing down from whenever he wanted it (8 times/day) to wake time, nap time, bed time and overnight. Most of the time he'd wake once or twice to nurse at night. By 20 months he was completely weaned because I got pregnant and my milk dried up.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#45 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM

Lately my 19-month-old has been nursing all the time, but when she was between 12-15 months, she didn't want to nurse much at all. It definitely ebbs and flows. I'm feeling exhausted by it right now, but am going to try night weaning (starting tonight) to preserve my sanity.

#46 of 50 Old 02-22-2011, 05:09 AM

My DD is 16 m/o and nurses 6-10x a day.

OP I think it is REALLY important not to stress about it. It is very rare for a child to wean before 2 y/o and and most wean between 2-6 y/o Or 7? I can't remember. Some people's 12 m/o nurse like 3x a day...You are doing more than fine!

Anyways I don't push nursing (unless we have been out all day and it's been like 6 hrs and my boobs kill!) but I do not limit yet. Once she is 2 maybe we will start the morning, nap, bedtime thing.

I remember when I was pregnant and talking about nursing my 2+ y/o everyone was like OMG BUT NOT WHEN YOU ARE OUT! So IDK a part of me is like forget all of you I should nurse my 3 y/o in public proudly b/c it's normal but another part of me knows it would make my friends/family feel weird and could bring on some negative attention from strangers (already had a lot before DD was even 1!!!) (someone called me disgusting for NIP with my 7 m/o...) I don't do covers. So we may do a "only milkies on the couch and in bed" thing. But IDK yet I def wont worry about it until she's 2.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#47 of 50 Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 AM

My 13mo DS usually nurses before afternoon nap, bed and once in the night. that said yesterday he nursed for over an hour in the middle of the afternoon. so :shrug: He's usually too busy doing his thing to bother with poor old momma and the milkies. so 3-5 times in 24hrs would probably be the range for us

#48 of 50 Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 AM

As you can see from prev. posts, normal is a very wide range. My first was a big comfort nurser, every time she fell down, got frustrated, etc, she nursed. Night nursed 2-3x/night till she was maybe 20 mos, I was pg and milk stopped at night. Then she night weaned. I didn't really like tandem nursing, but didn't think she was ready to wean, so we compromised by limiting the time she nursed to my count to 10. Still she wanted to nurse frequently throughout the day. That wasn't easy, but it was workable until she was ready to wean, a little past her 4th birthday.

dd2 was never so much of a comfort nurser. I barely remember night weaning, and though she still nurses before bed at 44 mos, I don't even remember when she cut down from multiple times through the day to just before nap and bed. It's been such a different journey with her.

#49 of 50 Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

I remember when I was pregnant and talking about nursing my 2+ y/o everyone was like OMG BUT NOT WHEN YOU ARE OUT! So IDK a part of me is like forget all of you I should nurse my 3 y/o in public proudly b/c it's normal but another part of me knows it would make my friends/family feel weird and could bring on some negative attention from strangers (already had a lot before DD was even 1!!!) (someone called me disgusting for NIP with my 7 m/o...) I don't do covers. So we may do a "only milkies on the couch and in bed" thing. But IDK yet I def wont worry about it until she's 2.

You know, I always thought I'd be self-conscious about NIP with a 1+ year-old... Then DS turned one, and it just wasn't a big deal. But I thought for sure I'd make people uncomfortable NIP with a 2+ year-old, and then I'd really need to limit him... Well, DS is over 2, and we are still NIP. I sat down & nursed him in the middle of the mall just today (and DS decided to completely expose me as a couple people walked by!! LOL) And it's not weird. He needs it. Some kids don't, by this age, and you can easily limit or redirect them, but my DS isn't like that, and so, we nurse, whenever, wherever. I get stares etc. but oh well... he needs it, I know that 100%, so I could care less what my relatives or friends or complete strangers passing by would think!!! smile.gif So yeah, don't worry about it, you will know when she's ready for limits and if she's not ready, you won't care how uncomfortable you might make someone!!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#50 of 50 Old 02-23-2011, 05:45 AM

That is so true Crunchy. I feel like I would just nurse her if she needed it. It is not so much that I would be self conscience or anything, but I know my family/friends would. So i guess that's a really stupid reason lol I am in the US and BFing is not well accepted even though it's normal. You go to Europe and NIP no one cares, you throw a blanket over yourself doing it and people will think you are insane lol makes me want to move.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page