Curious -- How often does your Toddler nurse? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find myself stressing sometimes about how often my nearly 16 month old daughter nurses.  I really want to just follow her lead, but she is such an active little one that I fear she would start to wean herself if I didn't step in sometimes and encourage nursing.  Still, she probably nurses at least 10 or some times per day (including night time sessions).  She definitely still nurses to sleep for naps and at night.  She eats plenty of food too, so it seems nursing is becoming more for comfort.  She was exclusively breastfed before we started solids, and she's been a pretty good eater.   

So, just curious -- how old is your toddler, and how often do they nurse?  I'm guessing there is a huge range in this age group.

Babygirlsmama
#2 of 50 Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM

From birth to age 3, my daughter nursed pretty much every 2 hours! Since her 3rd birthday, she's nursing about 6 times every 24-hr day.

#3 of 50 Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM

My 15 month old nurses about 6-12 times (10hrs) at night and 3-6 times during the day. Usually if he nurses only little during the day, he nurses more at night. However, nursing more during the day, does not mean he will nurse less during the day. I think he once slept 5hrs in a row, when he was 7 weeks old or so.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#4 of 50 Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 AM

My daughter is 13 months old and nurses 3 or 4 times per day.  It's 4 times if she wakes up at night once for a feeding - which is really most nights.  But every once in a while she'll sleep all the way through.  Then she nurses at waking, before afternoon naps, and before bedtime. 

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#5 of 50 Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 AM

My 14 month old nurses an average of 10 times a day.  A lot of it is "snacking" or just kind of play nursing while we cuddle and watch a show or read.  At night, oh man, he would nurse all night if I let him!  We're transitioning out of cosleeping right now and working towards night weaning, so at this point he will sleep till between 3 and 5 am, and then nurse and sleep again until 7.

#6 of 50 Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 AM

My LO will nurse on average about ten times a day too (she's 13mo) - alot of these are little snacks but some are longer. She still nurses about 4-5 times a night. She never sleeps longer than 3 hrs at a time and naps (if I'm not sleeping with her) she will only sleep about a 1/2 hour to an hour - then she might wake up to nurse and go back to sleep or she might just get up. 

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#7 of 50 Old 02-13-2011, 01:28 AM

My 3 year old would nurse 5-7x/day if she had it her way but I am willing to do it 3-5.  

DH reading.gif    DSbikenew.gif  joy.gifDDvbac.gif      soapbox.gif  MEfly-by-nursing1.gif
#8 of 50 Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 AM

My 15-month-old nurses 3x/day.

#9 of 50 Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Banned

my 20 month old (ignore the outdated signature I keep forgetting to change) would nurse constantly if I let her.

In reality I am lazy and generally do not say no to nummas. She nurses at least 8-10 times a day even if only for a couple of minutes.

She is not hugely interested in solids so I don't deny the breast all that often. She loves her "sippeee mama" and she drinks from that 

a lot but still nurses. She barely eats solids and I am torn if it would help if I denied her nursing more.

She nurses maybe 2-3 times at night too. She has been sick for the past 3 days so we have basically been nursing every 2 hours

or so...Sigh.

#10 of 50 Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 AM

My son nursed about 10x day/night at that age. It was too much for us for many reasons. With my daughter I cut us down to 3x day by then. Worked much better for us.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#11 of 50 Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 PM

At 16 months, DD had cut down to just 5 times in 24 hours.  She was at 8 times at 15 months.

ODS was at around 15 times and YDS at about 12 times.  My two boys have sensory quirks and had problems with solids as a result so they needed to nurse a lot.

#12 of 50 Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 PM

At 16mos, Ds nursed 20+ times a day. Now, at 24mos, he is down to about 10-15 times a day (he did not cut back on his own, that was mommy & daddy-led, and we just partially nightweaned him so we can get 5-7 hours straight of sleep!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#13 of 50 Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My son is 15 months and I would say 20+ within 24 hours.

#14 of 50 Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM

My 22 month old DS nurses anywhere from 4-10 times during the day and an additional 6-10 times during the night. He still requires nursing to fall asleep and always nurses upon waking. 

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#15 of 50 Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 AM

DS is 18 months old and he nurse 5-7 times in a 24 hour period... he never really snack nurses though, when he nurses it is for 15-20 minutes and he is all business. (:

Alissa: married to dh since 05/2006 and mama to Solomon (08/2009) and Ezra (04/2012).

#16 of 50 Old 02-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Your dd sounds about normal for that age. My current nursling is 26mo. She is very active but will also come find me for snacks throughout the day. She usually nurses for longer about 2-4 times a night, when she wakes up, when she naps (not every day), and at bedtime.

#17 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM

My 13 month old nurses 4-5 times a day, only at naps, bedtime and once in the early early morning, for max 10 minutes, he's very busy!  I'm thankful to have this because we had a very rough start to nursing and it's the best it's ever been :)

#18 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM

My son (2 years 4 months) would nurse every single time his 3 month old brother nursed if I let him.  He asks all.day.long.   And he does not take "not right now" for an answer.  *sigh*  My daughter (now 4) was SUCH a patient and pleasent tandem nurser.  But the 2 year old is not patient about anything.  I'd say, on average, he nurses 8+ times a day.  Sometimes for several minutes, sometimes for 5 seconds.

When I had my last baby, the 2 year old did really well with sharing Milk and didn't ask all to often...at first.  But for the past 3 weeks or so he's begging constantly.  He is a little under the weather so I"m sure that has a lot to do with it.  I hope he slows down soon, I am feeling very toddler-touched out right now.  On the plus side, I am producing a LOT of milk!  haha

#19 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 PM

My 17mo dd nurses every 2-3 hours.  I usually take her upstairs to our nursing spot and feed her.  She does not eat that much in the way of solids so I feel it is important.  She will ask occasionally, but usually I just look at the clock and feed her, same as always.  I look at the clock to feed my 4 yr old his meals so it is the same to me.  My son weaned as my supply decreased when I got pregnant (done by 28 mo.)  I hope she will continue longer.

#20 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM

my youngest child is going to be 2 on Saturday and she nurses all the time : ).  I think we're going through her second infancy. 

Remember the research also indicates that it's best for a  child to nurse until at least 2 years and up to 5 years. 

#21 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM

My 22mo daughter would nurse at least once an hour during the day if she weren't distracted and if I would let her.  In reality, she probably nurses every two hours during the day unless we're out and about or I'm gone.  She nurses to sleep for nap and at night and wakes up probably 2-3 times a night to nurse (we co-sleep).

SAHM to Lucy energy.gif, born 4/26/2009. Etsy shop owner. sewmachine.gif  Lover of internet memes. geek.gif  Current and future unschooler.

#22 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM

My 20 month old son nurses several times a day, usually for short duration.  He is very active and doesn't want to sit still, LOL.  He nurses longer at naps and at bedtime, he still nurses a few times during the night but not for very long. Some days he nurses less.  If he's not feeling well, or his teeth are bothering him, he nurses more.  I just go with the flow.  

#23 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM

My 3.5 year old is only nursing 1-3 times a day/night now.  This has only recently gone to such a low number due to my breastmilk totally drying up in the last few weeks.  A month ago he was nursing 3-5 times and a couple months before that it was 8-10 including waking at night.

Sytera~ WAHM to Kale (4/9/05), Kace (7/20/07), & Baby K (with God May 2009, Sept 2010).
Little Star Creations- Etsy, Hyena Cart, Facebook, Blog
#24 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm sure she's getting plenty of nutrition from nursing 10times day. 

#25 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM

My 3.5 y/o nurses in the AM and once before bed--but that's only because I limit her to those times.  If it were up to her, she'd nurse still nurse MULTIPLE times per day!  nut.gif

#26 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM

I can't event count - because when we are together its top of mind for my 23 month old daughter.  On a normal work day we wake up nursing, nurse after work/school, nurse to sleep and at least 2-3 times per night.. on weekends, unless we are really busy its way more often :)  she is devoted, and I am a push over.

#27 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM

My son just turned two and I am 6 months pregnant. His nursing varies based on his needs and how busy we are. He only nurses at home (since 18 months) almost always in the computer chair or in my bed. Twice a day is pretty much the minimum (morning grumpies and before nap) but it can go well up from there. Over the past year he had periods where it felt he nursed like a newborn and then there was the day we forgot to nurse and he did not miss it. I offer when it works for me and he also knows how to ask. My milk has certainly changed/decreased so nursing is mostly meeting emotional needs. We find it to be wonderful for calming down and for when we just need to connect or snuggle (the only way he snuggles). We are looking forward to tandem nursing.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#28 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM

My toddler is 15 months old and nursing every few hours as well.  He still nurses overnight and doesn't seem to have any interest in weaning yet.  I remember feeling worried about this when my first son was around this age and still nursing so often.  Suddenly before I knew it, he was 2 years old and weaned himself.

So, I think it sounds completely normal that your daughter is still nursing so often. I took a lot of comfort from a LL leader whoe assured me it was normal so I hope this helps you!  Enjoy while it lasts!

#29 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM

I'm nursing my third child who is 27 months now.  All three nursed past the age of 2, but this little guy nurses the most!  About every 2 hours during the day (definitely for naps and nighttime) and sometimes every 2 hours during the night.  Hang in there and try to enjoy it!

#30 of 50 Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM

I night weaned my son around 1 year.....I don't function well with interrupted sleep. Around 2 years old he was still nursing 3 - 5 times a day. We slowly weaned him down to once before bed over the next few months. I didn't want to have to stop during the day to nurse and he did fine with it. When he would ask to nurse, I would tell him he could nurse at the next time of day he would normally nurse. Eventually he got use to nursing less and less. He is 2 years and 8 months now. He is still nursing once before bed. He has always been a VERY good eater. No problem eating almost any fruit, vegetable or meat. He ate regular (non-purreed) table foods pretty quickly also. Much quicker than my daughter. I don't have a plan for weaning him completely. He is very attached to that last feeding so I don't see a need to take it away at this point. It's a nice relaxing way to end the day and many times he falls asleep before he's done. :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page