SUPPLY DROP for the first time DD is 16 m/o what the heck? PLEASE PLEASE HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have never ever had any supply issues. I am not pregnant (IUD) and my AF should be here around the 3rd...so IDK if it may be coming early and it always drops a tad bit before and during but not this badly! (I always had AF BW didn't miss one period EBF!)

I began to notice it a couple weeks ago actually but I just thought she was getting frustrated b/c she's teething. This morning (and last night) she was latched and sucking a few mins then hysterical. She popped off and switched sides. I started compressing the one she just had and tried to express some manually and a drop of a drop came out after a few mins! This was my first morning milk!

She nurses 7-10x a day sometimes more. She still night nurses too. I ca not explain why my milk is having a problem all of a sudden and I am scared, I thought it was a myth that your milk can just suddenly dry up out of nowhere?

She is no where near ready to wean.

So what do I do oatmeal and mother's milk tea? Anything else. The pump never worked out for me. I have always fed her on demand and still do.

Any reason this could be happening? 

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#2 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

no ideas?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

I don't have any ideas.  But my supply dropped in the second year of nursing both of my dds, so I've been in your shoes.  Given that she's 16mo, I would not wean in response to this, but I would start offering more solids.  

#4 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Alfalfa capsules work for me when I need a boost. Within 24 hours I notice quite a difference. Also I went back to having two very large cups of water throughout the night. I had become lazy and wasn't drinking as much water as I was during my first year. I would feel thirsty at night but not refill my cup and by morning I was parched. The increase in water throughout the night and a few alfalfa capsules (Nature's way) every once in a while seem to help me tremendously. Good luck- please keep us posted.

#5 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM

Hi Mama,

Toddlers are also very efficient nursers, so she might be able to get a ton of milk out quickly (within a minute) and she might want more if she's going through a growth spurt.

If you are concerned, which it sounds like you are, you might want to pretend like she's a newborn, cancel all outside appointments, and just spend a day or two nursing and cuddling, resting, drinking lots of water, etc.   I'm not a big drinker, but a big glass of dark beer always triggers a good letdown for me.  Positive visualization of lots of milk flowing also helps me....

Also, it's possible to get pregnant on an IUD, not likely but possible.... :-)

Good luck!

~maddymama

#6 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM

I was also going to suggest that maybe your supply is the same and she's just having a growth spurt.

Has your diet changed at all?  I still notice a little dip in my supply if I go a day without drinking enough water.  I feel like increasing my protein intake helps my supply too, maybe it's all in my head though, lol.  My supply really dropped off with DD#1 after 15 months, although she wasn't nursing very frequently at that point (twice a day I think).  It seems the same this time around with DD#2, but then she still nurses all the time so maybe thats the difference.

Hang in there - hopefully things are back to normal soon!

#7 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM

DS had weeks like that and DD has them, too.  It seems as soon as things settle back down I notice a new tooth or that her pants don't fit anymore...

#8 of 8 Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

maybe it is a growth spurt IDK she eats a lot of solids too. I drank a ton of water yesterday, had oatmeal and some mother's milk tea. She seems to be somewhat satisfied no more screaming but my flow still seems off. Normally I can just "push" milk out with my fingers and it shoots across the room lol now just a drop comes out. IDK what could cause that though except my body just not producing as much since she's getting older or something. She is nursing like a newborn right now! I am going to get some beer for tonight orngbiggrin.gif

Thank you guys for all the advice and support. I have never experienced this and I was scared sh*tless!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page