Yeast while almost weaned - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Mamas,

Ds is just over 3y. We were down to just night nursing and about 4 weeks ago (during my cycle) I had extreme pain. My supply was low and during that time I set some limits and was just nursing him to sleep and once in the morning. However, my pain got worse. Itchy flaky nipples on both sides. Fast forward to this month. He is doing so well and has only nursed a handful of times. Going to sleep with cuddles instead of nursing. Great! But my nipples are a mess. I called my MW and last Saturday started topical Nystatin 2x/day. It was clearing up, less flaky, the bright red all around my areola started to shrink. Then, Sunday I went to the gym with full intention of showering right after. The day got away from me and I never wound up putting on the AM dose of Nystatin...I only did it at night after showering. Once again, totally red and itchy and it's all I can do not to scratch! It's a silly question, but I feel like if it were yeast it would have cleared more easily now that I'm not really nursing. The last time Ds actually nursed was 6 days ago.

I have an appointment to see my MW later this week and will hopefully get more answers. Just wondering if anyone has BTDT.

Not sure if this belongs in Health and Healing but I though I'd start here.

TIA!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#2 of 2 Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a really similar sequence of events this past month, but my issue was a milk blister not yeast. All purpose nipple ointment was a dream come true. It's even working great on my foot eczema, but that's another story. So, YES, nipple issues can heal without nursing. Ask you mw or nipple-friendly doctor if they can rx some apno for you, if they think it's appropriate...

Good luck!

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page