Sad to be weaning - a little depressed maybe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas, I am feeling down here... I'm weaning my 15month old daughter (for medical reasons - I've been ignoring a condition that I need to treat for too long).  I really struggled with the decision to do so. I nursed her older brother longer - he stopped on his own at 2 (I was prego and the milk ran out - but it just happened super naturally).  This time, I'm cutting a feeding a week, and we're down to two feedings a day.  I'm due to cut her down to one feeding this week and then we're done.  Ack!

I'm really sad about this.  I'm not ready and I know she'd continue nursing for a while if I didn't need to do this.  I feel irrationally selfish and awful for weaning her.  I also just feel a bit blah, and I think the hormone shifts may have something to do with this.  

She's just so little and the thought of not nursing her anymore just brings tears to my eyes.  

She's taking it all in stride - she's such a sweet bundle and hardly notices - but when we do nurse - she's so clearly happy :(.  

I'm also just a bit mad, if I'm honest.  WHY does this have to be happening!?!?  I know this isn't the end of the world, but no one in my real life quite gets it. I just wish things were different. That I could nurse her until we both just are ready to move on - whenever that may be.  But here I am... 

Sigh... just reaching out for a bit of support - anyone been there done that?  

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 AM

My daughter is 13 months old, and I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am worried that I will have to stop. At first I was just worried that my milk would run out, but now I have had some slight spotting and I know the midwife will ask me to stop nursing. (I see her on Monday) I know how you feel because the thought of just stopping suddenly breaks my heart, I always thought I would nurse until at least 2 years. Of course getting pregnant changed that... I have been very sad at the thought of stopping, even if it was as my milk ran out. It makes me feel selfish for getting pregnant again. And I am mad at myself, like why did I let this happen? I hope all goes well for you :)

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

HI Starry Octopus, 

Thanks for your support and commiseration.  I totally get how you're feeling... 

I know for me it is helping me to remember that I am truly doing my best for each of my babies.  Taking care of myself is also important in meeting that goal... for all my children, present and future.  

Blessings on your pregnancy... 

Lizbiz

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Could be hormonal.  It's happened to me twice.  It will pass in a couple or so weeks.

User Tag List