Ready to wean--and I need my sleep rant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-07-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay so my dear 2.5 year old son is still nursing quite heavily, even with being in daycare 4 days a week.  Unless I am vigilant and prepared with snacks and distractions, all he wants is the breast.  Night-time is getting especially frustrating, because while he will go down without the breast, he wakes up early, arround 3 in the morning for mommy and "booby" (great name I know, but what can you do:))  If I had the luxury of falling asleep with DH that night, it's off to DS's bed for the rest of the night because hubby cannot sleep with DS in the same bed.  What I usually do is either try to have him just go to sleep without nursing or just a limited nursing--the count to five or sing one song method and by then he usually falls asleep, until 5:30 at which point if I want to sleep I just have to cave to the nursing request, otherwise it's a battle.  Help!  I am exhausted and really tired of this.  I wonder if the only solution is terminating nursing completely.  Do I go out of town for a week and let the boys figure this out?  That's not really an option, but an ocassional fantasy.  I find myself with less patience with less sleep and added frustration that DS doesn't eat very well.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Exhausted, Tired Mama here (I know I mentioned that a few times, but hey:))

#2 of 2 Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would just say no until after breakfast or some other 'far in the future' point so he stops nursing in bed altogether. Yes there will be fits and drama but if you suck it up for a couple of days he'll get over it and then... sleep.. glorious sleep smile.gif

Or if you want to quit totally then that's fine too. I weaned both of mine by that age. Pretty deliberately. Just we were done and we'd do other things instead. I think kids really take your lead so if you feel confident and in control then he'll follow suit.

GL!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page