2 year-old suddenly spitting up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm tandem nursing my 6 week-old and my almost 2 year-old, and this week DD has suddenly started spitting up every morning, after nursing, but before eating any solids. any ideas what could be causing this? she never seemed to have food sensitivities as a baby except for dairy, and she eats dairy with no issues now. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Could it be the 2 year old is finding the milk too rich while you are producing new born, rich milk?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

Could it be the 2 year old is finding the milk too rich while you are producing new born, rich milk?

Just FYI, the fat content of human milk increases as the baby grows, so newborn milk is actually less fatty than "toddler milk."

Is she vomiting, or burping up the milk like a baby?  I'm wondering if your increased supply/milk volume is causing her to gulp and get some mouthfuls of air, which then makes her spit up.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post

Is she vomiting, or burping up the milk like a baby?  I'm wondering if your increased supply/milk volume is causing her to gulp and get some mouthfuls of air, which then makes her spit up.

I'm not hearing a burp when it happens, she usually burps right after nursing, the spit-up happens 5-15 minutes later. the amount varies from just a dribble to a few onces. it could be from oversupply/strong let down, but doesn't follow the pattern I've usually seen with it. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg

User Tag List