Pregnant and nursing my 20 mo old... but I'm not sure that anything is coming out. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know that it's normal for milk production to decrease greatly and as much as I'd hoped it wouldn't happen, I think that it's been the case here. DS is still nursing several times a day, although it's been awhile since I've felt my once-very-obvious let-down and his nursing feels much more like suckling. He's still pretty into it, though, and I'd like to continue and tandem nurse if it seems to be working for us all. So my question is... is this a pretty standard scenario? Do toddlers sometimes nurse with very minimal milk flow (if any) for several months until more milk comes? I keep thinking he's going to lose interest...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My milk was gone right away, and DD continued to nurse and now we are 8 months into tandem.  DD complained a little at first, but she wanted to keep at it, so in our case it worked out ok.  She did nightwean on her own, which has been a blessing since I only have 1 waking at night to nurse.

Good luck!

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM

My son dry-nursed for about a month before he finally weaned himself.  I had my baby 3 weeks after my toddler weaned.  I kept expecting him to nurse again, but he didn't want to.  There were several times he lifted up my shirt, looked at it, and then said "no."  My baby is now 7 weeks old and I'm pretty sure my toddler won't nurse again.  Every child is different so there really isn't a reliable way to predict what will happen.  Good luck! 

treehugger.giflactivist.gif h20homebirth.gif

Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM

My son dry-nursed for about a month before he finally weaned himself.  I had my baby 3 weeks after my toddler weaned.  I kept expecting him to nurse again, but he didn't want to.  There were several times he lifted up my shirt, looked at it, and then said "no."  My baby is now 7 weeks old and I'm pretty sure my toddler won't nurse again.  Every child is different so there really isn't a reliable way to predict what will happen.  Good luck! 

treehugger.giflactivist.gif h20homebirth.gif

Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM

my LLL leader told me that about 60% of toddlers being nursed during pregnancy wean during the pregnancy. my DD did not. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM

my son would have nursed if motor oil was coming out, I think he dry nursed for the last 3 months of pregnancy, but when the new milk came in he was so happy he called it "tasty pear milk" I found that tandem nursing came with alot of challenges I was not prepared for. My suggestion is to see if you can make sure that night time nursing is under control before new babe comes. that was a really hard time for our family. But not impossible. I ended up tri-tandem nursing and after my oldest weaned I continued to nurse my younger 2 for 2 more years. Good luck@!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM

I love "tasty Pear Milk"

My son nursed on despite my having very little there for most of my pregnancy. He dropped down to two nursings a day, but still found them very important.

He was happy at 32 weeks when the colostrum came in and nursed for longer and with more gusto. We started talking about how the baby would nurse too in the last month

Baby is now two weeks and Tandem is going great. He strokes her head when they nurse at the same time. I also nurse him alone as his special time. He increased the frequency at first, but it has dropped down now (though still more than before).

I have engorgement issues and it is wonderful to have such an expert nurser to help releave the pressure. We had to wake him up in the middle of the night last week to help the sore nanas and he came running top speed once he was awake enough to understand what Daddy was asking.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

User Tag List