we're nightweaning. and it doesn't suck. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

joy.gifi never expected to have a positive experience nightweaning, and that's why i'm posting.. to encourage others.  dd is almost 19 mos and had lately begun nursing like a newborn again.  i woh and dh and i were beyond the limits of sleep deprivation.  i was so worried that it would be awful, i hesitated to start many times.

we used the sears method of telling dd that the boobies go to sleep.  she totally got it.  the first night she asked for them, pitched a fit once, and i made the mistake of letting her nurse at 5 am -- she thought that meant it was time for her to get up.

last night she only asked once, got upset for less than a minute i'd say, and went back to sleep.  she slept well and we did too!!!  i nursed around 6 when the alarm went off, and she went back to sleep with dh.  (we still cosleep, which is a large part of how we pulled it off so well, i think)

it doesn't seem to have affected her daytime behavior at all!  she's still cheerful and chipper. 

anyone else have an experience like this? 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 2 Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad it went well for you! We also had good success in the night-weaning department, at 20 months. A few nights of - oh, I don't know - 5-10 minutes of fussing/crying - but MUCH easier than expected and we all sleep much better now. Daylight savings time threw us off a little, as I tell DS that we can have milk again when it's light outside.... I was just a little more flexible briefly. Basically, I don't nurse before 6am any more. I am a SAHM, so on the rare occasion he goes back to sleep, he usually nurses again before really getting up. No problem.

Yes, there IS HOPE, Mamas!

AP/SAHM to two under four

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page