My 11 month old still breastfeeds predominantly. Hardly wants solids. Anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He just doesn't eat a whole lot.  And yet he's always been in the 90th percentile.  he eats maybe 2 jar's worth of solids a day and the rest is bottled breast milk during the day and breast in the evening and night. I plan to breastfeed until he's ready to stop.  I'm concerned about his nutrition and eating habits.  he's happy and obviously thriving, but is this normal?  I feel like the entire first year as a new parent is the question, "is this normal?" 

any advice or experiences would be much appreciated =)

#2 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 12:48 AM

My DD was almost about 99% exclusively breastfed until after about 13-14 months of age.  She just didn't want to have anything to do with solids.  She eventually took to food with gusto, weaned from nursing on her second birthday, and has a robust appetite and varied diet.  :)

2 jars of food at 11 months sounds like a lot to me from my experience, LOL, but that doesn't mean it's not normal.  I didn't really do jarred food much with my kids (they hated it).  Have you tried giving your baby bites of food instead of purees?  Googling baby-led weaning would be a good place to start.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 8 Old 06-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

2 jars of food sounds a lot to me too smile.gif My almost 13 month old has only just started eating more solids (we do BLW) but I would say she still gets more than 90% of her nutrition from BM.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM

That's normal and healthy. My son "liked" solids at that age, but he was only interested in a few bites of each thing. He turns two this week and he ate the last jar of WIC baby food this morning...I stopped using WIC when he was 10 months old. I don't think he ate a whole jar of food until he was a year old or more.

This is my favorite source of info on balancing breastmilk and solids:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#5 of 8 Old 06-17-2011, 04:18 PM

My almost 11 month old is interested in solids, likes them a lot- but still nurses as her primary nutrition.  Some days she doesn't eat more than a few nibbles of solid foods.  We have been strict BLW (she's had 5 jars of baby food in her life, most of which was rejected or wasted in the fridge).  I think that this is totally normal.  I would continue to offer healthy options, as far as solids go, and just follow his lead.  When he is ready, you will know :)

#6 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 PM

DD was pretty much exclusively breastfed at that age, I'm pretty sure she didn't start 'eating' untill about 14 months or so. 

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#7 of 8 Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM

So happy to find this thread! My DD is 16 months old and EBF. She also doesn't eat much solids, in fact, it seems like she doesn't eat much of anything but her 'mik'. She is thriving, however, and her growth is normal according to her check-ups. Glad to know I'm not alone in this and great to read all the advice :)

dust.gif   

#8 of 8 Old 06-26-2011, 11:56 AM

I had a mom friend tell me to just pay attention to what my son seemed to need re: solids, and not worry about what others thought.  My son ate less than 2 jars (I assume you mean the medium-sized ones?) per day at 11mo, and had only just been consistently having 2 very small solids meals a day since about 10mo.  Soon thereafter, though, I had a feeling he wanted to have a solids lunch, too, so I started giving it to him most days.  Around the same time, he started nursing every 2 hours during the day (although he would usually go a 6hr stretch at night) for 2-3wks.  He learned to walk and got a few new teeth just after that stretch ended, so it was clearly what he needed.  He continued to not eat a lot of solids, although he was usually having 3 meals a day, until he was 14mo when he started eating more, and then had another bump-up in solids intake around 16-17mo.  It also took him until 17-18mo until he had enough teeth and the desire to eat more foods that required more chewing (chunks of chicken, etc.).  Now he's almost 2, still nursing, but most days eating TONS of solid foods. 

So, I would just keep paying attention to what you feel your child needs (forget others trying to press solids on your child!), and you'll gradually get a sense when he's ready for more.  Just keep offering appropriate foods (depending on ability to swallow, number of teeth, interest he's shown in similar foods, etc.), and he'll gradually try some as he's ready.  My son's first food was avocado, and he almost single-handedly finished a serving bowl of avocado yesterday at a BBQ.  :)  So it will almost certainly happen eventually that he'll eat a lot more solids!

Good luck.

30-something remarried widow, wife to L. Mom to IVF baby S. , born summer 2009. Would love to eventually become a lactation consultant. Hoping to have a second without technology this time!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page