Unique Tandem Nursing Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-22-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First, a little background...  My son is almost 33 months old.  I nursed him until he was about 19 months old.  (At that point he was only nursing a couple times a day.)  Then, I had a miscarriage immediately following an unusual night of constant nursing (DS was sick).  Emotionally, I had a difficult time nursing after that and I felt a sense of resentment, even though the cause of the miscarriage was not known.  We were trying for another baby.  So, for three months I didn't nurse him at all, not even once.  He continued to ask for it and at 23 months I let him try to latch on.  Lo and behold, I still had milk and he began nursing again.  

When DS turned 24 months, I found out that I was pregnant and continued to nurse.  Then, I began having miscarriage symptoms so I immediately stopped nursing.  Turns out I had a bad subchorionic hemorrhage.  Not wanting to take any chances, I haven't nursed him since he was 24 months.

Everything is fine now and Baby #2 is due in two weeks.  (Hooray!)  Even though DS hasn't nursed in nine months, he continues to ask for it (or try to latch on) every day.  I have always wanted to tandem nurse and that is my plan.

So, my question for you all...  Does anyone have experience tandem nursing a toddler and newborn after the toddler has gone nine months without nursing?  What is the best way to approach this?  Wait for my milk to come in and then offer the breast to toddler?  Or go ahead and let the toddler nurse now?  Or something else?  I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you have been in my situation!  TIA!  :-)

Crunchy mama to DS (born 10/08) and DD (born 07/11).  I'm also a childbirth educator, birth doula, and urban homesteading hopeful.  chicken3.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page