15 month old - I don't want to stop breast feeding but TIRED of pumping at work!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is a bright happy little one. I have enjoyed our nursing experience tremendously and have no intention to stop until she is ready (honestly I dread when the day comes).

However, I returned to work when she was 4 months and after 11 months I have had ENOUGH of pumping. She is on solids now, her appetite has finally picked up (we did BLW) so I have gotten away with sending less milk, which means I now only have to pump once a day.

I've spoken with her Dr. and he recommends just stop pumping and she'll be fine. He recommends that I continue to nurse her in the morning and through out the night as she wants (we co-sleep). I'm not a fan of cow's milk for her so we've tried to give her goat's as well as soy. She refuses to drink any other milk, but will drink water from a sippy cup. We experimented with the other milks when I'm not around to make sure it wasn't a matter of her wanting me instead of a bottle.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so what did you do? Should I just stop pumping a let her have water through out the day? Additionally, she is leaving her home sitter to go to school at 18 months. I'm worried about making a drastic change of the school as well as removing her milk at the same time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 AM

I stopped pumping with my first at 10 months and she went on to nurse until she was 4.5 years old when I weaned her. (Was DONE by then). 

With my second, I stopped pumping around 13 months and he's still nursing just fine 2 months later. He does nurse a lot throughout the night so I'm just giving water at day care. I was giving a bottle of cows milk (small bottle) but he's just not interested in it. So he really doesn't get any other milk. 

I agree with your Dr. that you will be just fine. Your supply will do what it needs to and it's not nearly as fragile now as it was in the beginning. I left my daughter for 3-5 days at a time HOPING she'd wean on her own but she never did as she got into her toddler years. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 AM

I did what your doc describes...Just sort of stopped..replacing the pumped milk with rice milk for daycare.  DD's tummy didn't do well on cows milk for a long time and it made her agressive.  She really didn't seem to notice because she was fully exploring foods by then.  But, we nursed AS SOON AS WE GOT HOME almost every day lol...and at bedtime..Just be careful to wean your system off pumping gradually so you don't get any ill effects from engorgement.  If you pump several times a day, reduce by one, then next week, two, and so on..don't just stop cold turky. I only was pumping once a day anyway because I was working part time a good while at first.

Forgot to say...dd didn't like soy or goat milk either...try rice milk or hemp..,oat milk..she may like them better...also, give some at night to taste so its not just associated with daycare. Good luck

#4 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

I also stopped expressing at work when ds reached one.  We continued to breastfeed for another 2 1/2 years.

#5 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I stopped pumping a few months ago and we are fine

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#6 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM

I stoppeds pumping when dd2 was just about a year old. she continued to nurse until a couple months before her 4th birthday. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
#7 of 10 Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM

I had a somewhat similar experience--I stopped pumping and switched to whole milk in a sippy at the same time as a new child entered our nanny share (so the child who was previously with my son since he was 5 months old had left--family moved out of state). 

It turned out to be too much change at once, so I kept pumping for a couple weeks more, and then we went to whole milk in the bottle, not the sippy, and then transferred a couple months later to the sippy. 

Six months after stopping pumping, I've found:

• my son breastfeeds much as he did when I was pumping; a couple times mornings and evenings, and a couple times overnight, plus through the day on weekends
  • he doesn't drink a ton of cows milk during the day--maybe 4-5 oz max
  • my supply seems fine although stopping pumping made my period start back so I do get a supply dip around that time

The only potential problem I see with her not getting any milk at all during the day is that you might be up all night nursing. Could you maybe introduce cheese or yoghurt? Cottage cheese is also a big favorite for us. 

#8 of 10 Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 AM

your supply will adjust to just nighttime nursing. Try almond milk or rice milk or one of the other types out there. DD is 5 and maybe drinks a glass a day in her morning cereal. (if she has some)

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#9 of 10 Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ladies,

Thanks so much for your shared advice and support! I'm glad that I posted here. I feel a lot more comfortable with making the decision to stop pumping, and confident that I can continue to breastfeed!

Anna Phor: yes she does eat yoghurt and cheese. I haven't tried the cottage cheese, I'm not a fan so I didn't think to offer it to her.

Thanks again!! thumb.gif

#10 of 10 Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 AM

Yup, I stopped pumping at 13 months and DD just recently weaned at almost 19 months, I will say that she only occasionally slept through the night so right before bed and usually one to two other quick nursing sessions at night were pretty normal for her, but towards the end when I was working towards weaning I was only nursing once a day and my body still kept going. Heck, when we finally weaned, I was full for an entire week of no nursing before my body finally decided I was really done.

Make sure to reduce pumping gradually to ward off discomfort and possible infections. For us, I did introduce cow's milk and she likes it ok, she tends to get a cup or two of milk, occasional juice, but mostly water. I just make sure she gets dairy through food as she loves yogurt and cheese, so I don't worry if she doesn't want a bunch of milk.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page