Mothering Forum banner

When did you get your first PPP while still breastfeeding?

2K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  sunwise 
#1 ·
DS in 17 mo and I'm wondering if I should be concerned that AF hasn't returned yet. He nurses about two or three times in 24 hours.

Should I see my doctor or is this normal?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I got mine back at 14 months. He nurses maybe 8-10 times in 24 hours, but I don't count...some of the nursing sessions are short "comfort" nursings. I wouldn't be worried if I were you...but if you are worried, just give a call and see what they say!

#3 ·
I wouldn't be worried at all. Some women don't get it back until baby weans. Mine were all 14-20 months old when it returned. But I had been tandem nursing, and my period didn't come back until the older one weaned. Also, even when it returns, the cycle may not be regular for a while, and you may or may not ovulate.

#4 ·
14 months is average. I got mine the week my son turned 2. He'll be 3 next month and I'm having fertility issues even though I get my period every month and am ovulating. My son currently nurses twice a day on weekdays and a little more on weekends. I'm sure it's due to the breastfeeding which I suspect is causing low progesterone.

Are you concerned because it's been so long, or because you are looking to get pregnant again?

#5 ·
Mine came around 11 months, but then we'd stopped nursing at night around 10.5 months, so I'm sure it was connected and PPP would likely have been delayed further had we continued to night nurse.

#15 ·
I'm not an expert, but based on what I was told by a doula friend and found online when I was concerned at the beginning of the year, I don't think it's anything to worry about. My first PPP came when my son was 14 mo, but I really think it just depends on your body and how sensitive you are to the hormones. Some women just don't get their AF until they stop breastfeeding altogether.

#16 ·
I wouldn't be worried, unless you want to start TTC again.

I got mine back at 19 pp (nursing on demand and still pretty often and co-sleeping). I have had 3 cycles so far, I think I ovulate on random days (not predictable) and get af 10 days after (short lp due to bf I believe). DD now nurses more often and longer. I took Vitex for about 2 weeks before ppaf came. Not sure if Vitex did the trick or if it was coming either way.

#18 ·
I got mine back at 26 months, and admittedly was starting to wonder when it was coming! However, my midwife told me that it was normal given how much my daughter nurses (a lot!). I was really relieved because we are thinking about TTC, but I didn't want to have to wean, or night wean, or something similar to get my fertility back. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't do anything in the direction of mother led weaning because I got my period back anyway. Yay.T

The point being there is a wide range of normal.

Babygirlsmama

#19 ·
DS was 18.5 months when I got AF back. He was nursing all night (at least every 2 hours but usually more often) but had cut back to nursing about 4 times over the course of the day.

#22 ·
My son is 21 months and nurses a lot when we're together all day (6+ times) and 4-5 times when he goes to daycare in the afternoons. I just got my period back the third day of our 10 day Hawaiian vacation. I was shocked (and of course unprepared). It was also strange because with the traveling and sleeping with me in our hotel, his nursing had INCREASED... kind of weird.

#24 ·
My first baby i had to wean at 9 weeks and got a peroid shortly after.

With my 2nd baby I never really had a period (only two tiny scant spottings) and still got pregnant when dd was about 28 mos. She had been nightweaned for about 4 months. She was an avid nurser and terrible sleeper so I am happy that I got a break from a cycle at least.

This baby is 9 months and I still have no peroid. So, I have not had a peroid since May 2007 and it has been nice!

#25 ·
I had pms sort of symptoms monthly for about 3 months before AF appeared (DS 18 months). Since then it was a bit heavier than I remembered for a couple of months but also shorter (4-5 days versus 6-7) and it came back incredibly regular, every 28 days on the button.

#26 ·
3 months with DS, just got my first one today
irked.gif
and DD is 11 months. She nurses about 5 times in 24 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.