Colostrum question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently nursing my 2 yr old and due any day with a new baby. I know its very important that the newborn gets all the colostrum possible. What I am not sure about is what to do if toddler asks to nurse in the hospital when all I have is colostrum. Typically we only nurse at home and only on the chair/couch or the bed so I don't even know if he'll ask. But if he does is it ok to let him? Should I only allow a "quick sip". I don't want to say no but I also don't want him to steal the colostrum from the baby. KWIM?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

the usual advice is to try to have the baby nurse first. I didn't do that because I produce particularly large amounts of colostrum, so I wasn't worried about it. I did restrict my toddler to one side per nursing session so that I would have a full breast to offer the baby when he was ready to nurse. it must have worked, because the baby only lost 3 oz. (my first lost 10 oz)

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 07-31-2011, 07:58 PM

From my reading, you will produce colostrum in adequate quanities (as demanded from the nurslings) for the days b/f your supply comes in. normally, you don't run out. You start producing colostrum for weeks b/f delivery anyway.

I plan on nursing my newborn first, but can't imagine not allowing my son to nurse for those few days! How traumatic that seems to me! I like the idea of restricting toddler to one side per nursing. thx. I'll try that:)

good luck

User Tag List