Just wondering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why... not...?

It's very nice and easy. A sweet time for us. I am missing it on the nights she is too busy or fights sleeping at the breast.

#3 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Because it works!
jocelyndale likes this.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#4 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree, why not. In the beginning I don't see how you can not nurse to sleep. My kids always feel asleep during the evening feed. Even as they get older, it's nice to top them off with a feed.

Eventually it will just stop working and then you can move on to something else. I find that month to month it is something different that puts them to sleep. So it's not that you can skip nursing to sleep and have an instant fix.

My dd2 stopped nursing to sleep around 6m. Since then putting her to sleep has included rocking, walking, patting, singing, cuddling and now watching dh play cards on the computer. I still nurse before bed. It's just dd doesn't fall asleep during the feed.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#5 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

It's the most effective way of getting her to sleep.

It means she has a full tummy when she goes to sleep.

It's a lovely way to reconnect with my busy toddler after a long day.

PatioGardener likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 17 Old 07-15-2011, 03:38 PM

it's easy. my toddler no longer nurses to sleep, but does nurse right before bed because it helps her unwind. with my baby it's the quickest, easiest way of getting him to fall asleep.

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#7 of 17 Old 07-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Because they want it. :) I'm not denying my toddler to nurse to sleep if she wants it. 

transylvania_mom likes this.
#8 of 17 Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 AM

Because I want to sleep (or have a little time to myself!)  Nursing her down to sleep means that I don't spend two hours cajoling her to sleep.

DD1 nursed to sleep until somewhere between 2 and 3 but has fallen asleep on her own since then. DD2 still nurses to sleep, but I can see her moving away from it.

Also, I love the time with my little one :)

PatioGardener likes this.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#9 of 17 Old 07-16-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.  I bf my dd to sleep until she weaned at 2 1/2 yrs.  My sister (who also bf her sons to sleep) keeps telling me never let them fall asleep on the breast.  And I do have a friend I just visited who does not bf her baby to sleep- she feeds her, rocks her, puts her in a vibrating chair or the crib and it works.  I am expecting another baby in August.  There are stuggles that accompany bfing a baby to sleep but it just is so easy in many ways. 

#10 of 17 Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 AM

Also, every baby is different, and some are happy to fall asleep in a crib. But when they're not, you really can't make them or spend forever trying to trick them into sleeping there! You do what works, and what they want. Now at a later age, what they want isn't always going to work, and you have to be able to explain that and calm the kid down and ...expectations evolve.

#11 of 17 Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 PM

I breastfed my first to sleep because that's how he liked to fall asleep.  I tried to breasfeed my second to sleep because that's what worked with my first.  But from the very beginning, she would unlatch and then fall asleep shortly after.  I hope my next child wants to fall asleep without nursing, because while nursing a baby to sleep is easy for babies who need it or want it, not having to nurse the baby to sleep is awesome. :)

Mama to three

#12 of 17 Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 PM

My dd likes to nurse to sleep, and I see it as a really sweet time for us. Calm, relaxed, and peaceful. But I prefer it when she pops off shortly after falling asleep. Just now she was nursing down to a nap and stayed latched on. She must have started dreaming or something because she suddenly started to CLAMP DOWN with her teeth. OUCH!

I gotta admit that it can be a pain sometimes to have to lie in bed with her while she's winding down toward sleep when I'd rather be doing something else, but that doesn't happen very often. What DOES happen more often than I'd like is when she's having difficulty settling down and likes to climb over me, switching back and forth from one breast to the other. That drives me bonkers!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#13 of 17 Old 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Because she asks.

caffix.gif

#14 of 17 Old 08-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Nursing a baby to sleep is easier than the alternatives than the jiggling/bouncing/walking/rocking/crying alternatives.

#15 of 17 Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyjones View Post

Thanks for all the responses.  I bf my dd to sleep until she weaned at 2 1/2 yrs.  My sister (who also bf her sons to sleep) keeps telling me never let them fall asleep on the breast.  And I do have a friend I just visited who does not bf her baby to sleep- she feeds her, rocks her, puts her in a vibrating chair or the crib and it works.  I am expecting another baby in August.  There are stuggles that accompany bfing a baby to sleep but it just is so easy in many ways. 

Yes, nursing is a major sleep association. So all the books I've read by "sleep experts" recommend that you try to get them to fall asleep without the boob. Even Elizabeth Pantley and Dr. Sears encourage parents to try multiple ways at getting babies to sleep so they can relax by other means. But yeah, as most here have mentioned, breastfeeding to sleep works! Why not take advantage of this strong sleep association if you can? It is as nature intended. I've always relied on it, but I am also my son's primary caregiver 24/7. Perhaps I would have tried something else if I needed someone else to care for him. But still, a baby might accept rocking, wearing, or another method by a different caregiver and still enjoy being nursed to sleep by mom. It is such a precious time smile.gif
#16 of 17 Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Wow!  Someone tell my 3 yo there are other ways to fall asleep!

#17 of 17 Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 AM

If you are co-sleeping, then it definitely makes sense. My wife is a heavy sleeper, so when ds starts to wake up, I just place him on the breast! It's cute.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page