Pump weaning and alternative to cows milk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all.  My DD is 14.5 months old.  I work 4 days a week and she goes to a home daycare.  I've been pumping since she was born and recently decided to wean from the pump.  We nurse morning, night, and on demand when I'm home with her.  I've been introducing cows milk by adding a little to the remaining pumped milk that I have.  Yesterday, the ratio was about 50/50 and she would have none of it.  Today, I sent that last frozen EBM to daycare.  I'm not sure what to do going forward. She's eats pretty well - was a fabulous eater until the past two weeks when teeth were coming in.  Do I just send cows milk and not worry if she doesn't touch it?  

Thanks for any thoughts smile.gif

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
#2 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 12:45 PM

My son took a couple weeks to really cotton to cow's milk.

Are you sending it in a bottle or a sippy? We tried to go from breastmilk in bottles straight to cow's milk in a sippy, and it was too much, so we did cow's milk in the bottle for a spell. I also added banana to make the cow's milk sweeter, so he was drinking banana milk for a few days. 

She might be okay without taking a lot of cow's milk during the day, especially if she's still nursing at night, though. You might prepare for a little bit more overnight nursing in case she decides to tank up when you are home.

#3 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response smile.gif

She's doing the EBM and cows milk in sippys.  I'll see how she feels about banana mixed in.  This is a great idea.  I make her yogurt with dried fruit, so perhaps I can make her cow milk "smoothies" if she's not a fan of the cow milk alone.  You are a genius!  I hope my daughter agrees winky.gif

S (35yo) wife to T (36yo) and mamma to my princess M (5/10/10).  After 3 losses in 2012, found an AMAZING doctor and gave birth to baby sister S on 11/12/13.
#4 of 4 Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Buy goat's milk from a local farm.  It is sweeter and so much better for your babe than cow's milk!  In an emergency I wasn't able to supply my friend w/breastmilk (I'm an old dried up hag now, lol), but the goat's milk I could give her kept her baby alive until she could make it to go get donated bm.  He LOVED it and now loves it frozen and mashed up.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page