Nightweaning my 25 mo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD is 25 mo and cosleeps part of the night and nightnurses.  She largely self-weaned during the day over the last several months and then me and DH solidified it while on family vacation several weeks ago.  When she wanted to nurse we'd offer distractions.  I think she was really pretty ready because it was super easy.  Now she doesn't ask to nurse during the day but her night nursing has increased/she's become more insistent about it.  This makes me concerned about cutting those out but at my milk is basically dried up at this point (gradually diminishing over the last six months or so with decreased daytime nursing, no pumping) so the increased nursing is uncomfortable and also keeps me up.  I'm planning on gradually trying to cut out the middle of the night nursing and then the waking one and then finally the going to bed one, though I really like that one for cuddle-time.  I'd love to hear from people who stopped nursing during the day first and then nightweaned and/or tips about nightweaning.  I'm familiar with Jay Gordon's site so I'll definitely be using some of those techniques...I guess I'm also just interested in sharing experiences/getting support since I think she's ready and we're ready for this change but I want to be very gradual and not hurt her, and also have my own sadness about saying goodbye to this time.

Thanks!

#2 of 2 Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just because it is easy doesn't mean the child is ready or it is the best time. It sounds like she has replaced day feedings with night feedings like a child of a working mother. You're sad, then why wean? Where else but here (or LLL) would you hear that?

My kids didn't night wean until they slept through the night at around age 3. They potty trained first.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page