Morning nursing is not working for me... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I night-weaned ds2 (2y5m) a few weeks ago, and he is sleeping much more soundly at night now smile.gif

BUT, he insists on nursing as soon as it is light outside. (that was what helped me cut the night-nursings - "You can have nummies when it's light outside") At about 6:00 or so, I've been nursing him, but it goes on for at least an hour. If I don't nurse him, he is up for the day, and that usually means ds1 is up then too. I like getting to sleep longer, but since I've begun running again, I would sometimes like to get up at that early hour to run when it is "cool" (ahem, 85+ degrees) before the sun comes up and not have to treadmill it. And honestly, the days I don't run, I'd like to have a more restful last 1-2 hours of sleep. I am more than happy with our other nursing (to nap, to bed at night and maybe 1-2x more/day).

Any ideas how to cut this session and still have him get that last hour or two of sleep?

TIA!!

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

****5****10****bellycast.gif****20****25****30****35****40**

#2 of 6 Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM

I said no more nursing until TOMORROW lol.  meaning after breakfast,  

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#3 of 6 Old 08-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I think this article might help you. It is about twiddling but I think you can apply a lot of it to your situation. http://codenamemama.com/2011/07/22/twiddle-me-that/
#4 of 6 Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post

I said no more nursing until TOMORROW lol.  meaning after breakfast,  

Funny!  But mine would just be like, "Great, let's go get breakfast now!" :lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonBFCDAP View Post

I think this article might help you. It is about twiddling but I think you can apply a lot of it to your situation. http://codenamemama.com/2011/07/22/twiddle-me-that/

That's a great article!  I think I'll chat with him about it during the day to get the thought in his head......I may have to tell him that he doesn't get to nurse in the morning.  But I don't really like that, because that sounds like 'not in the morning at all' to me, and I wouldn't mind - once we were up and around - taking 5-10 minutes (or even longer) to nurse him.  Hmmmm.....    

I like her "Provide an Alternative" suggestion; it reminds me that he *loves* to rest his finger on (in?) my belly button and it even sometimes helps him to sleep.  Maybe I could nurse and sing the alphabet (our typical nursing 'countdown') and then remind him of my belly button.  I think once he's back to sleep he'll sleep for another little while longer.  Well, no, because I'd like for him to get to where he sleeps through until it's late enough for me to be talked into getting up for the day, lol!  I'll just be trying to offer my belly button.

Keep the ideas coming, if anyone has any.  And I'll try post in a couple days or so to give a progress report. ;)

Marilyn, wife to DH 09/02 and mama to my boys, DS1 11/06 and DS2 02/09, and a new one on the way in 06/12!

#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 04:20 PM

People, like cows, have the most milk early in the morning. The early morning feeding is the most important of the day. It probably wouldn't be good for your breasts to run before feeding. I used to wonder why farmers got up so early to milk cows until I found out about this. Just like you can't milk your cows at 9 am and expect to have milk cows, you can't expect to delay or eliminate the early morning feeding and lactate. Now there are feeding stations and cows can step in and milk themselves. Cows (not trained cows) know to milk themselves early in the morning.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#6 of 6 Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

People, like cows, have the most milk early in the morning. The early morning feeding is the most important of the day. It probably wouldn't be good for your breasts to run before feeding. I used to wonder why farmers got up so early to milk cows until I found out about this. Just like you can't milk your cows at 9 am and expect to have milk cows, you can't expect to delay or eliminate the early morning feeding and lactate. Now there are feeding stations and cows can step in and milk themselves. Cows (not trained cows) know to milk themselves early in the morning.

Thank you for this!  I knew this, but it's nice to be reminded ;)  I have decided that I don't mind too much nursing him in the morning.  I have been running in the evenings after the boys are in bed, and it is working very well!  The only hurdle I foresee is when I go back to work in a month and have to leave the house at 7:00am.  But then the boys will be in school/mother's day out (and going to bed earlier), so they will be up with me probably.  I was just feeling a little touched out, I think, when I posted my original question.  Still may at times going forward, but he may begin to wean himself from this morning nursing, so we'll see....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page