Supply Issue or weaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS is 12 1/2 months. I know that's pretty young for him to be weaning. However, over the course of the past few months, he has cut his nursing times to about 3-4 x's/day. The past couple of days he hasn't been nursing right after his PM nap. It seems to be hit or miss. Dinner is usually around 5:00/5:30 and then bed is typically 7ish. His "big" nursing sessions used to be first thing AM and right before bed. But the past few nights the bedtime nurse - he isn't nursing as long. Then to top it off, the past two nights he is going from breast to breast - and keeps switching back and forth the ENTIRE time. Tonight he did that for 25 minutes. Each time I check - there is milk coming out so I don't think it's a supply issue?? Not sure what's going on. Anyone else experience something similar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 06:10 PM

it can be pretty normal for toddlers to decrease how often they nurse, some increase again, some don't. 

side-switching can be a sign of a supply or let-down issue, but can also be totally normal because the toddler is having a hard time settling in. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Should I be concerned if there is a supply issue or let down issue? What do I do about it? If anything?

User Tag List