28wks pregnant and bf'ing 15mth old. Sensitive pregnant nipples. What helps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My nipples are sensitive due to the pregnancy. This causes pain at the initial latch on but is fine after a few seconds. My real issue is that breastfeeding my 15mth old son starts to feel annoying because of the sensitivity. I want to continue bf'ing til he's around 2 because I know there are still great benefits for him but I don't know if I am just going to have to deal with the sensitivity or is there something I can do to help with the sensitivity( the annoying feeling)? He BFs like 4 times a day and usually when he's tired and wants to go to sleep. Which brings up another question. Should I try to BF him at other times instead so that he BFs longer or is he still getting enough milk to receive the benefits?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM

When you feel the pain, practice your relaxation techniques for labor. That's what I did. Painful pregnancy nursing is good practice for labor ;).

Whether or not he's get the nutritional benefits from the milk depends probably depends on if you're completely dried up or not. Either way, he's definitely getting the emotional benefits nursing provides. I would just continue to nurse him as often as either he or you like.

#3 of 5 Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your encouragement and advice, I will try that. I'm not dried up, I check from time to time, so I know that he is still getting the benefits of milk and like you mentioned there are the emotional benefits as well.
Thank you.
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM

My nipples have been sensitive throughout my pregnancy (39wks now), but to varying degrees.  Sometimes just the initial latch, sometimes worse.  Practice your coping techniques, like the PP said, but also practice flexibility and knowing your own boundaries.  If you're finding yourself feeling too annoyed or resentful, try a change for a little while: shorter nursing, less often, more at times of day when you feel more relaxed, etc.  A week later, it may feel different.

#5 of 5 Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I found a book from the La leche league called Adventures in tandem nursing. It addresses this issue and has good advice for when i breastfeed my second baby along with my DS.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page