My 6 year old wants to start nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Due to difficulties with breastfeeding and a general lack of knowledge and support, I only managed to breastfeed my DD for about 2 months. By the time my DS was born 5 years later, I was better prepared and we've had a fantastic breastfeeding relationship for the past 13 months. Shortly after his birth, DD got interested in breastfeeding and started asking if she could try. I turned her down at first because we were in a DV shelter at the time with no time alone and I was terrified of how people would react. A year later, she's still asking. Honestly, as she's gotten older and lost her "babyishness" I've gotten more uncomfortable with the idea, even though now there isn't the issue of having someone around judging. However, we've had issues with bonding from the beginning, and though it's gotten a lot better in the last year, I can't help but think maybe letting her nurse with her brother could help. Any advice?

#2 of 6 Old 09-23-2011, 09:59 AM

If she were my child I'd offer to let her try some milk in a cup. I don't think I would allow her to nurse directly from the breast. I don't necessarily think it is wrong, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it myself.

Mulvah likes this.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#3 of 6 Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

The longest I nursed is 60 months, but I think I would go ahead and let the child try it once.  Just be forewarned that she probably won't know how to latch very well.  Maybe tell her she can nurse from you just one time and then if she likes the taste of the milk you will express it for her to drink from a cup. 

snowgirl likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 6 Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinhead View Post

If she were my child I'd offer to let her try some milk in a cup. I don't think I would allow her to nurse directly from the breast.

yeahthat.gif

She won't be able to latch at this point and she hasn't been nursing right along, so functionally it's not going to work.  I would be uncomfortable with it, personally, and if you are uncomfy with it I think you should honor that and not try to force yourself into that situation.

You might consider letting her pretend to nurse if she's really interested in it.

#5 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM

I agree that she probably won't be able to nurse, although if you were comfortable with it (and it's totally fine that you're not) I'd say let her try. Maybe you could offer to snuggle with her and feed her expressed milk from a bottle, if what she's looking for is closeness and to be babied.

Me, DH, and DS (9/18/10), living in a multi-generational household (non-pathetic way of saying we live in my parents' basement).
#6 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I think I'm going to try the expressed milk route and see how that goes. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page