Painful nipple from manual expression? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been searching to see if anyone has had a similar problem before, and I can't seem to find anything that quite matches.. One of my nipples has gotten so sore I haven't been able to nurse on that side for a couple of days. DD is 2 1/2, and has been quite understanding ("does mommy's other side booby still hurt?"), but I'm worried if this continues it could be the end of my milk supply, at least on that side.

Last week I was on a business trip, during which I manually expressed milk in the mornings and evenings, during the time she would typically nurse. I thought I might've been too aggressive the first night because I was a little sore in the morning. The discomfort grew to about a 4 on a scale from 1 to 10, but didn't really hurt any worse while I was expressing.

When I got home after 3 days and she nursed for the first time I was shocked how much it hurt for the first couple seconds, but within a day it got so bad I haven't been able to let her nurse on that side at all. The last time she did I'd give it about an 8 on the pain scale.

And the pain hasn't gone away.. I've tried warm compresses and cool compresses and lanolin. The color doesn't seem to be any different and there's no cracks that I can see. Honestly, the only thing that seems unusual is how hard the nipple is, but it's pretty much been that way since I was pregnant although it seems a little worse right now

All this sounds completely vague, but I'm hoping it will strike a chord for someone. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!

Tags
Breastfeeding
User Tag List