Sort of weird problem - 20 month old won't stop playing with my nipples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm still nursing my 20 month old, and happy with that (although it is getting a little exhausting as I'm also pregnant). He used to have a pacifier for sleeping, but we weaned him from it a few months ago. Around the same time, he started to grope around for my other breast while nursing, and pull and tug on my nipple. I think it started because he used to do the same with his paci and so he was looking for a replacement. I find it so uncomfortable - both socially and physically, but I can't get him to stop. No matter how many times I redirect him/say that it hurts mummy, etc. Has anyone had any trouble with this? It is starting to bug me so much that I'm thinking about weaning altogether - but I really don't want to have to. Any ideas? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM

I never ever let my kids do that.  Just physically not allowed.  I don't really understand how you can't get him to stop?  You move his hand and he puts it back?   Why don't you keep the breast covered?  

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 PM

At that age, if my child did something that hurt or made me uncomfortable while nursing, I would simply delatch and put them on the floor.  They usually got the message fairly quickly that if they wanted to nurse, they needed to not nipple twiddle, bite, whatever.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM

I actually have a couple of necklaces that I put in his hand when he's (18 month old DS) being overly pokey at me (I NEVER have the side he's not nursing on exposed, mostly because I hate having him fiddle with my body).  He'll play with necklaces rather than poke me in the mouth or sometimes I'll give him a stuffed animal to hold while he nurses.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Nursing necklaces helped me! I had two twiddlers and it drove me crazy. Though I bet anything he could fiddle with in his hands could do the trick.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Ha this is so me! My DD has become booby obsessed (I'm also pregnant!) She wants to caress my breast or play with my nipples and I kept telling her no and I get what you mean b he just won't stop b/c DD is the same way.

So here's what worked for us: We went to a local craft store and bought hemp, wood beads, and a wood pendant and she helped me to make our nursing necklace! It was fun little project for us and it's special b/c we did it together.

Every time she goes for the boob I say "oh look at the beads" etc and it distracts her. She is 25 m/o right now! Totally worked! I just wear it all day..

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM

I have to keep my hand over the unused breast, and boy, sometimes she really fights me!  She'll try to peel my hand away and holler at me to move my hand, it's in her way!  But I tell her to stop or we are done.  She's not as bad as she used to be.  She only tries it about 50% of the time now.

I am not afraid to stick my hand in a toilet, for I am Mom.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM

My DS is almost 20 months and he loves to twiddle.....I use my forearm to cover my nipple since he can really try to get to it. I find that lifting the boob over the top of your shirt instead of exposing the belly helps to save my belly button as well. He seems to head right for that if the nipple is not accessible. Hilarious in a way, but also, really annoying. 

We are down to twice a day, wake up and before bed. From demand feeding to dropping one (of many) day feeding-with distractions. Some opposition but not what I thought it would be like, not so bad.

After a few months we were down to 1x feeding in the middle of the day. Then I weaned that one by going on bike rides during the time he would probably nap. He would fall asleep within 10 mins and I had an hour to read or have lunch-it was so incredibly wonderful!!!  Now trying to give the boob earlier, not to fall asleep on, but of course he does not want to lie in his bed while I sing or rub his belly so...so far he has fallen asleep once next to me instead of on me but otherwise I have to bounce and sing. Trying to lay him down before he is completely out. To see if he can become comfortable with that....

Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlye828 View Post

I have to keep my hand over the unused breast, and boy, sometimes she really fights me!  She'll try to peel my hand away and holler at me to move my hand, it's in her way!  But I tell her to stop or we are done.  She's not as bad as she used to be.  She only tries it about 50% of the time now.

yeahthat.gif

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 AM

This is a very common problem.  My 20 month old still tries to do it.  Some babies/toddlers are much more into it than others, and for moms who haven't dealt with it, I can see why they would not understand.  My son either wants to do it constantly or forgets altogether.  I always keep the other side covered and sometimes have to use my forearm as a blocker.  If he won't stop and keeps trying to peel my hand away or push my forearm off, we stop the nursing session (this is also what the LLL Womanly Art of Breastfeeding advises). 

I have found that, like other things he does that I don't want him to do, it almost never helps to say "no" or "stop--that hurts Mommy."  I still say those things sometimes, because I think he needs to learn, but know that what I say will likely have little to no immediate effect.

And, congratulations on both your pregnancy clap.gif and your extended breastfeeding!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 AM

Nothing really to add except that I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with this!

Uncomfortable, a bit painful, and really annoying - including the belly button poking. 

I"ll try the necklace idea, and lifting my breast out of my shirt. 

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif
Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 AM

My 10 month old either pinches or - for lack of a better word- fondles my other side while nursing. He's done some form of abuse like punching since he was born. I don't let him continue if it hurts. But I did read on here somewhere that all this behavior encourages a letdown, at least maybe when they're younger. I have found that to be true for us so I'm a little more patient when he's just fidgeting versus being well... Abusiveirked.gif

Old 12-10-2011, 06:43 AM

There is an ancient statue (I think in India) that has a woman nursing a baby and the other boob is being tweeked LOL

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 AM

I cover my other side.  Sometimes he would delatch and poke at it and laugh. So I would just stop the feeding.  I also, as some of the other ladies, wear a necklace to draw his attention and that way not only will he just feed and stop delatching and poking, but it stops him from trying to put his fingers in my mouth or up my nose etc.

User Tag List