My two-year-old no longer nurses...and weaning has gone SO WELL!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

While I greatly admire those who let their child wean on their own, I have felt for a while that I was ready to be done with nursing. Between three pregnancies (one miscarriage) and nursing our two kids, I have not had my body to myself for five and a half years. So, several months ago, I did the "don't offer, don't refuse" thing during the day and started trying to distract my now 27-month old when he wanted to nurse during the day. He still nursed a couple of times a day and a lot at night, up until about a month ago.

Then, one day about a month ago (at about 26 months), I snuggled with him and explained that when he was hungry or thirsty during the day, he could now have food and juice (at our house juice is reserved for special occasions) just like his older brother. Nursing would only be at bedtime and at night. I was prepared for a protest, but he just laughed and said "yes." Twice, he asked to nurse during the day after that, but I told him no and gave him apple juice instead. He was absolutely fine with it...no tears.

For the last month, he has been nursing at bedtime and usually once more at night. We co-sleep, and I've made a conscious effort to get up as soon as he wakes up instead of nursing him then. Then, three days ago, I came down with a UTI, and was put on a pretty strong course of antibiotics due to a condition that runs in my family. The doctor told me not to breastfeed during the course of the medication, and recommended against prescribing a milder dosage/alternative antibiotic. Since I've been trying to wean, I reluctantly agreed. (When I got home, I did look up the medication and read that it was probably still OK, but decided to use this as a last little push to wean, nonetheless.)

Before I took the first dose, we all talked a lot about how DS2 would not be able to nurse anymore at night when mommy took the medicine, and that he could have apple juice like a big boy instead, just like his older brother. Also that he could have lots and lots of snuggles instead. I asked him if he wanted to nurse one last time, and he said no. Then, the evening came, and I expected it to be a rough night.

But no, before I put him to bed, he said "lots and lots of hugs, lots and lots of apple juice." I gave him some diluted apple juice in a sippy (don't worry, we'll switch to water in a few days..apple juice is really a rare treat around here), and snuggled next to him in bed. Not once did he ask to nurse. He had his hand on my breast until he fell asleep, but he fell asleep without nursing. Woke up a few times in the night...same thing.

Last night was the third night, and when he woke up in the middle of the night, he cried a bit for the first time since we stopped nursing. He said he was hungry and wanted to nurse, and I offered him some banana. He didn't want any, and fell asleep in my arms after about 10 minutes.

We still co-sleep and he wants A LOT of snuggles...more than usual, but he hasn't nursed now for three days. Aside from last night, weaning him has happened completely without tears. My husband and I are amazed that he actually understands what is going on, and agree that he seems ready to wean. If we had gone with child-led weaning, he would probably have nursed for a while longer, but this is fine with us too. He has been ready.

I had to express a little milk yesterday, due to discomfort, but there really isn't a lot there. So, it's happened very gradually too. Just three months ago, I was dreading the idea of weaning my constantly nursing toddler, and now, here we are...

I already miss nursing...but this is a relief too. I already feel like I have more energy.

Siouxsie likes this.
#2 of 5 Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 AM

I have a 12-month old, and weaning is a ways off.  But I still wonder how it will eventually happen.  Thanks for sharing your family's experience. :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#3 of 5 Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 AM

My ds weaned at 4, dd at 2. I am so glad it went well. I tried to gently wean my ds earlier but it did not work..

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks for sharing! My DD is 2.5, and we just night-weaned a couple of months ago. (love being able to explain things, like "no more nursing at night", to them at this age and they understand!) I am starting to feel ready to be done with nursing, although she still really seems to need it, and is a very mama-centered, somewhat clingy girl. It's helpful to hear your experience. I have a goal in my mind of being done with nursing by the time she's 3, so 6 months to wind-down...? We'll see.

Considering how much she loves nursing, I am surprised at how well night-weaning went - a rough week or two, but now she gets it (and I get 5-6 hrs of sleep in a row!!). We're now entering night-weaning phase II, to try to get her to hold off until Daddy's alarm goes off at 6:45 (she currently wakes like clockwork at 5am to nurse).

Mama to joy.gifDD1 (5/09) and happy crawler DD2 (11/12) and wife to DH guitar.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks so much for sharing this. DS is almost 17 months I'm looking ahead and wondering how (worrying about!) we are going to do the same. It's so nice to read about you and your LO having an OK time with it all. 

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page