Pregnant - Should I stop BFing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to the doctor today to confirm I'm pregnant. ^.^

She immediately asked if I'm still breasfeeding my 17 month old DS. I said "yes", and she went off on a stern lecture on how I must stop NOW because it's so dangerous - It may cause me to miscarry, or my fetus will be malnourished.

She's been after me to stop bfing since my son turned 3mo old (Which is the typical age to stop here in Korea). As has my son's pediatrician... and family doctor... But not for any valid medical reasons - just that it's not done here. No need, waste of time, too hard for mothers etc. I'm about 180lbs, and eat a fairly healthy diet (lots of fruits and veggies - came down from 230lbs in the last 3 years) and I drink lots of water. My 17mo old is a plump, healthy lil guy. 

I read on Kellymom that there shouldn't be any problem, but it seemed to be kind of a wishy-washy response - "doesn't seem to" "no current studies" etc... . I was wondering if anyone had other sites that could give me more concrete things for my peace of mind and that  I can show my husband.

Thanks in advance if anyone can give me places to look!

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Continue if you want. Theres is no medical reason to stop under normal circumstances. I've nursed though three of four pregnancies and had no problems. My docs have always been supportive. They've also been supportive of tandem nursing as well. Good luck.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM

that's really bad advice.  i stopped when i got pg because my milk ran out, plus i just couldn't take it mentally or physically-- some mamas here do and continue, lots of people in the ddcs do.  maybe browsing in those and seeing how many mamas continue will ease your mind?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Unless you have a HISTORY of miscarriage or preterm delivery, you are FINE. 

Everyone w/ the exception of my LLL leaders who knows that I'm currently pregnant is sh*tting bricks at the fact that I'm still nursing my 19month old. Its actually getting kinda... humorous. 

Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I decided to keep BFing as long as I can.

It didn't make any sense to me because if BFing caused miscarriages then people in countries without access to formula would never have kids closer than 2-3 years apart, right?

I keep looking and found some more convincing answers elsewhere. I was less worried about how accurate it was, than about convincing my husband not to flip out when he heard it from a doctor. He read your responses and the other websites I found and he's Okay with it!  thumbsup.gif

Thanks a ton!

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
User Tag List