Breastfeeding when newly pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I believe that I might be pregnant (yay!) but only just. I am not even expecting my period for 5 days but I am beginning to notice sore breasts, heartburn and fatigue. I am still nursing my 19 month old son a couple of times a day. Today was the first day my breasts were really sore and I hadn't nursed him all day until just now when he was getting ready for bed. He nursed fine on the one side, then bit me in the curious sort of way that he does sometiimes and then on the second side he kept latching off and sticking out his tongue lol. Has anyone notice a change in their milk this early in pregnancy or is he just being a little weirdo?

I would love to read about your experience nursing when pregnant. I have a history of miscarriage (two before my son) and I believe I may have had one when he was only a few months old due to the pain. They were all at about 5.5 weeks. I want to continue nursing until my son weans but I am just curious about how it has gone for others.

Mama to Callahan 05/18/10 cold.gifteapot2.GIF
#2 of 3 Old 12-12-2011, 05:25 AM

Well - I'm 6wks in, and still BFing my 16mo old son. So far haven't noticed any changes. My nipples haven't become sore yet thankfully! But I've been more careful not to let him twist or play around when nursing. 

I have heard a few things that seem to be of the 'old wives tale' variety about nursing and miscarriages. What I've read on pro-breastfeeding sites is that miscarriage experts don't see any connection between the two. Actually I looked all that stuff up to because my OBGYN brought it up, but she is very anti=nursing and has been after me to stop since my son was 4mo old. 

Good luck with #2, and with BFing :)

Oh wait - one change... tonight I've been ravenously hungry. I snacked most of the day when my nausea went down, then ate a full dinner at 6pm... and again at 8:30pm, and it's 10:30 and I'm becoming hungry again. It might be quite an adventure trying to eat for three... 

nak.giffambedsingle1.gifslingboy.gif
#3 of 3 Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Hello & congrat's on your pregnancy! i'm 26wks pregnant & still nursing our 2y 3mo old.  I'd suggest reading "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" - it's put out by the Le Leche League & extremely informative!  My nipples are sore only at the start of a nursing session (adam nurses 3-5 times a day, plus to fall asleep at night).  My milk production has definitely slowed down but Adam still seems happy!  Sometimes he says "No more milk" then switches sides.  Good luck to you & I hope this helped a little bit! smile.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page