Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy (http://www.mothering.com/forum/310-breastfeeding-beyond-infancy/)
-   -   Anyone tried introducing a nipple shield with a toddler? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/310-breastfeeding-beyond-infancy/1340551-anyone-tried-introducing-nipple-shield-toddler.html)

brambleberry 01-01-2012 03:29 PM

My dd is 23 months and nurses at least 7 times a day.  She really is still getting a lot of calories from BM and of course is depending on it emotionally a lot - especially right now she's going through a developmental jump and has gotten a little more separation-anxiety-ish again.  We're wanting to try for a second baby but I'm super scared of having terrible nipple pain when I get pregnant.  Nursing has never been very comfortable for me and is sometimes pretty painful if she nurses too long or at certain times of the month.  She has a high palate and I think that contributes to the discomfort.  I've planned on starting to gently move her toward weaning after her 2nd birthday if I do get pregnant since I'd rather not tandem nurse, but if she seems to still really need it I don't want to make her wean.

So my question is, has anyone tried using a nipple shield with a toddler?  I'm trying to make some contingency plans in case I do have terrible pain nursing while pregnant.  I'm also open to the idea of waiting to get pregnant a little longer, but I'm not getting any younger (I'm 34 which I know isn't all that old, but I have friends younger than me who are having a lot of trouble getting pregnant and that does worry me.)  Any other suggestions for dealing with nipple pain?

Thanks!

brambleberry 01-03-2012 12:01 PM

No suggestions, huh? I had little hope that a nipple shield would work for a toddler (she'd probably just throw it across the room), but it was worth asking.  I guess we'd better keep using contraception for a few more months, cause I think I might end up having to wean if I get pregnant and have much more tender nipples than I do now.

nikkijames 01-03-2012 09:52 PM

I doubt she'd let you put a shield on mama. Especially if she has no experience with an artificial nipple, like bottles etc. 

goldenmilk 06-11-2014 06:59 PM

No Success Here

I attempted to do this when my angel was 15 months. he developed two top teeth with a big gap in between so my nipple kept getting caught and it was AGONY. he doesn't use a bottle, he got extremely upset and insulted (even though I only nursed him 2-3 times per day). A disaster. Any ideas to help out?