SO ready to wean. WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 kids and have been nursing now for over 3 years. I know that's not much compared to some of you, but it feels like a lot to me!!

My kids are 18 mths apart and we tandemed until DD cued a self weaning (refused for a few days and then I wouldn't let her go back) at just over 2 years.

DS is currently 20 mths and only nurses once a day, though I really would like him to stop. I feel as though I am "touched out" and when he nurses it makes me want to crawl out of my skin! And no, I'm not pregnant, LOL!

I have been away for work for a few days and it didn't faze him at all - he just got right back on the boob when I got home.

Seeing as it's only once a day, should I just carry on until he gives it up or can I somehow gently wean him? How would I do this?

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD recently weaned (at 19m), but she was only nursing once a day for about a month prior to that.

I think you're the only one who can answer if you can/want to continue on once a day.

Honestly, I probably would have continued on once a day for a while longer, but even that small amount was affecting my fertility and I'd really like to have a second baby soon.

You can try decreasing the length of the nursing session gradually, or having your partner put your LO to sleep, or (we resorted to this a few times) driving around in the car just to get through a few days, or any combo that works for you.

Like I said, my DD was nursing really just once a day. Then I started back night classes two days a week, so she was nursing 5 days per week, then DH took over betime duty all the time, and I wouldn't nurse her unless she woke up and wouldn't go back down. She would skip a day here and there, then she went 3 days, then she went 3 more days, then she asked about a week later and I said "no," but she didn't cry or fuss about it.

Here's to a gentle weaning!

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy
User Tag List