Advantages of breastfeeding beyond 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was at a meeting and I said to get all the facial and speech developmental advantages you may have to breastfeed as long as 3 years. A RN LC that was at the meeting said my info was out of date and there are no advantages after 2 except preventing and helping with infections. I looked online and couldn't find any new info. Did I miss something?

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans View Post

I was at a meeting and I said to get all the facial and speech developmental advantages you may have to breastfeed as long as 3 years. A RN LC that was at the meeting said my info was out of date and there are no advantages after 2 except preventing and helping with infections. I looked online and couldn't find any new info. Did I miss something?

There are no studies *that I know of* that would support either view.  In the US because the number of women who breastfeed *past* two is so small they are generally all considered to be one group--- if you nurse to two years, 1 day or 8 years that is the same group statistically.  Most breastfeeding advantages do show a dose dependent effect, though.

I recenently saw some interesting stats coming out of China where they were able to access more long term nursers, but I didn't see anything that specifically referred to facial and speech development.

#3 of 5 Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Along the same lines, I was reading in  "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler"; there haven't been any studies on nursing over 24 months. The info is on page 8.

#4 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Even without a study- the nutrition is amazing!  The nutrition doesn't change.  Breastmilk is the most nutritious food for any age person! Even adult cancer patients will take it!  There is, of course, the virus fighting bonus as well.  Then, for some nurslings, the comfort issue helps a lot.  My first child has sensory issues and there's no way we would have managed emotionally without nursing!  Even a typical kid can be helped with another trick in your bag of tricks!

As for speech and jaw strength - are our jaws the strongest they're going to be at 2 or still developing?  If they're still developing, then it would make sense that nursing could help it.  It certainly won't hurt it!

#5 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM

breastmilk is the best food on the planet... we all should be consuming human breastmilk... much less disease and sometimes it cures certain ailments ( pink eye ) with the help of the stem cells in the breastmilk... my wife liked the intimacy and I get the benefits....no more asthma.. no acid reflux.. all tests, health, immunity and stamina have improved...my bumper sticker says GOT BREASTMILK......also they are using it in the cleesecakes in the most posh dining in NY, nursing homes in California employ wet nurses.. we as a society should never have made breastfeeding a taboo .... we stlll have a long way to go

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page