Biting and laughing...also pregnant w/supply issues-connection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 14 mnth old has been biting every.time.I.nurse. this week! I can't psychologically handle it anymore. I don't have much milk left, earliest I've ever started losing it. I am 15wks along and was on Prometrium until last week. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, but the milk issues developed as I was coming off of that. I have my babies bite before and it only takes once or twice and they stop. But this one gets a kick out of it and laughs. Remind me again how to handle this. I am startled everytime, also with her I am bracing myself the whole time because I know it's coming. And then I sorta shout "no", but not to be mean, it just comes out. I try pushing her head in closer if I feel her about to bite, but it doesn't help. Also, her latch is not the same as it is when she really wants milk, it's not as wide, and I feel like she's just fooling around, then the bites come. I try twice, once on each side then I need a break, because I'm terrified.

HELP!!!

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#2 of 4 Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With mine I learned that he bit at the end of a feed, so we ended feeds a little early to avoid biting. A bite got a big pull INTO the breast and then a firm "no bite" and being plopped onto the floor.

HTH!

#3 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thanks. We are headed down a not so good road now. My irritation with the biting made her upset and she began decreasing feeds even more. I had tried the pulling closer move and it just wasn't cutting it. Thanks for the support. I'm gonna keep trying, I wasn't at all ready for her to stop so soon, I've never tandem nursed, but always could get to at least 30wks or so.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 4 Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep, pull his face in or plug his nose so he can't breathe... then when he lets go to take a breath you are free.  Then say "No biting" very calmly and stop the session.  Go elsewhere and do something else.

My son got a huge reaction from me the first time he bit and that made him laugh and start doing it on a regular basis.  Once I started stopping the feeds he started saving the bite for the end when he was finished.  I kept doing the above and making sure I remained calm with no reaction.  He got tired of the game and finally stopped.  I think it petered out of the course of a week or two (maybe it was only a few days and just felt like a couple of weeks!).  There is more to BF than just the milk.  They also want the cuddles and comfort.  He was still getting the milk but it didn't take him long to make the connection that biting mean't losing mummy's cushy lap.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page