Nursing during Pregnancy - is my prenatal vitamin giving my toddler diarrhea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sorry for the gross question, but I'm trying to figure out what's up with my 21 month old DS.  He started having very loose stools yesterday and only this evening did it seem to be getting a little better.  He's not acting sick -- he's eating normally and sleeping well.  The only thing I can think of is that I started a new brand of prenatal vitamin a couple of days ago (I'm 6weeks pregnant.) 

Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking of going off of the vitamin for a few days to see if it helps.  

Thanks!

Mama to DS1 (4/11/10) and DS2 (9/23/12)

#2 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 AM

Hello there, I know this is a little over a month old but I did a search and found your thread!

I have a 3 month old baby who started getting green, bloody, watery, mucousy stools at about 5 weeks old. I cut out dairy, nuts, gluten and eggs. After that, the blood and green stools went away, but he was continuously was having watery, dark yellow, mucousy stools. I was considering cutting out more foods until my fiance pointed out that I started back up on my prenatals once my son was about a month old (stopped right after giving birth). I recently have slowly reintroduced gluten and eggs, but also stopped taking my prenatals a couple days ago, and every day my son's poop has gotten better! Well I found out that since women usually get constipated during pregnancy, most prenatals contain a laxative. I'm not sure if it's strong enough to cause diarrhea in a breastfed baby, but obviously something in it affects the baby!

Hope this helps!

#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM

If I were either of you I'd take the baby to see a doctor. However, if you're certain it's the vitamins, maybe you should try a different formula.

This one contains no laxatives: http://www.eganmedical.com/Prenatal-Pack-Prenatal-Vitamins-p/msvs-pnp65330.htm

That said, I'd still take the baby to a pediatrician.

#4 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It is critical to take your prenatal right now and or at the very least folic acid.

Sometimes bm later in pregnancy can affect the bowels but it sounds early. Iron in particular can cause green poop.

More likely, he just has a minor tummy bug.

#5 of 5 Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! As a followup here, my son did get over the diarrhea fairly quickly and I continued on my vitamins as normal. It probably was a stomach bug, I'd have to guess. I wish I could say that he's still nursing, but he stopped about three weeks ago (shortly after his 2nd birthday and me getting deeper into the second trimester of this pregnancy.) 

Mama to DS1 (4/11/10) and DS2 (9/23/12)

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page