Tandem Nursing Toddler Wants To Nurse CONSTANTLY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My toddler is driving me nuts! All day long it feels like she's asking to nurse over and over and over. Even when she's just nursed, she asks for it again! Even when I tell her yes, she can nurse when I'm done getting food ready or walking down the stairs or whatever, she keeps asking over and over. Before the baby was born (2.5 weeks ago) she was down to nursing at naptime, bedtime, and wake-up time. I get it that she's adjusting, but I just can't deal with it anymore! Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do?

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif

What I did was just tried my best to cope.  The thing is, if she wasn't nursing, she wouldn't be *less* demanding.  She would just be demanding different things.  I was able to reset some limits *eventually* but it certainly wasn't within 3 weeks of the birth.

The first step, if I were you, would be to really think--- "Will I feel better if she is not nursing as much?"  So, take the attention/needyness/clinging out of the picture: will simply replacing nursing with some other action be better for you?  If you think yes, then you can start on a campaign of replacement--- other interesting snacks, new games, toys, stories, whatever you think will be an adequate replacement. 

The other option is to just wait it out.  Are you getting out of the house yet?  That also helped a lot--- DD was more "bored" at home, but when at a park or other activity didn't think to nurse quite as often.

Good luck and CONGRATS!

#3 of 4 Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks! I have noticed that days where we leave the house are better. I also think part of my being annoyed with her is me. I've been feeling a lot of anger, which from talking to people can be a sign of PPD, so I have an appointment with my psychologist next week. I'm also trying to give her attention in other ways. I think she's using nursing as a way of getting my attention. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

#4 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactatinggirl View Post

Thanks! I have noticed that days where we leave the house are better. I also think part of my being annoyed with her is me. I've been feeling a lot of anger, which from talking to people can be a sign of PPD, so I have an appointment with my psychologist next week. I'm also trying to give her attention in other ways. I think she's using nursing as a way of getting my attention. 

hug2.gif  Anger is definately a sing of PPD (more so, I have heard, with subsequent births).  Take care of yourself--- I hope your appointment goes well.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page