When did you stop nursing in public? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DS is 16 months and we still nurse in public. It's fairly rare, however, because he doesn't nurse as much during the day anymore. We haven't run into any opposition yet, but I know many out there have. 

I was wondering when others stopped nursing in public, if ever.

#2 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 18 months now and we still nurse in public. I figure we'll start being more private about it when he needs it less (he's a big comfort nurser and outings can be a little stressful for him) and I'm feeling less comfortable. I'm not particularly concerned with what age that happens.

#3 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

31 months here and I will nurse in public. 

I went through a time where I was uncomfortable about it, mainly when I felt he could wait a bit, KWIM?  Got over that pretty quick.  Now a days I could care less what others think.  IMO, it is their issue.  I do not "whip it out" (respectfully) like I did when he was younger.  If there is a need I have no reservations. 

'09   
#4 of 23 Old 02-09-2012, 05:17 AM

My toddler is 23 months, and I haven't for a while now, probably since last fall. She is interested in everything going on around her and would rather eat a quick snack than be tied down with nursing. I didn't make a conscious effort to not NIP, it just happened that way. If she did ask, I'd put her in my ringsling and nurse on the go, and probably nobody would even know. :)

#5 of 23 Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Mine is 21 months old and we nurse in public still. Last week it was the grocery store, this week the hospital greensad.gif. He doesn't often ask when we are out and about, but if he does, we nurse.

#6 of 23 Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM

I quit at one year unless DD was really upset. Mainly because she was really squirmy and wouldnt stay latched for very long, so she was exposing my whole nipple constantly.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 23 Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM

I don't generally (DS is 18.5 mos) but only because he usually only nurses before naps and bedtime, and through the night now.  Sometimes he'll ask when I get home from work, but then, I'm home. winky.gif  Generally I try to nurse whenever he asks so if I were out and about, I would NIP without hesitation.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 23 Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Also, I kind of make a point of telling people that we are still BFing whenever it makes sense in the conversation.  I'm proud of it, and I want people to know it is normal.  I love that my (male) boss isn't phased by the fact that it comes up in conversation.  His wife nursed each of their 3 sons for 3 years.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#9 of 23 Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM

DS is just about 2 and we rarely nurse in public anymore. Partly because he is too busy to want to but also because he is so distracted when we are out that he ends on on and off 500000 times and it drives me mental. If it is close to nap/bed time or he is having a rough time (like a fall or something) then I will but if he is just bored I ask him to wait and he is fine with it.

Homebirthing Mama to busy DD (2008), cuddly DS (2010) and midwife to be
#10 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 AM

My younger daughter weaned right around her 2nd birthday, and though she it was rare because she mostly just nursed at the beginning and end of the day by then, we'd still nurse in public if she wanted to, right up till the end.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#11 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM

My son self weaned the week he turned four.  The last time he nursed, we were in public.  Fairly deserted area, but public nonetheless.  While he nursed less and less in public as the years went on, I never stopped nursing him in public if he asked.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#12 of 23 Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 PM

Mine is 2 1/2 and I am starting to feel uncomfortable.  But I'm determined.  I just give myself a good pep talk and grit my teeth and do it.  I figure it's almost my duty to help make it more "normal" and for people to see it in public.  I try to look relaxed and smile at everyone.

PatioGardener, kitteh and MyName like this.
#13 of 23 Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 PM

I quit NiP around a year.  It just wasn't working for me then.

obstruct livery vehicles

#14 of 23 Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriebird View Post

Mine is 2 1/2 and I am starting to feel uncomfortable.  But I'm determined.  I just give myself a good pep talk and grit my teeth and do it.  I figure it's almost my duty to help make it more "normal" and for people to see it in public.  I try to look relaxed and smile at everyone.

Aww! Your so great! Its Moms like you that make it easier for others!

My son stopped nursing during the day around 18months, we pretty much NiP until then. He really only nursed at night and all night til morning. Oh and before nap, but it was always at home.

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#15 of 23 Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm so surprised how long some of you do/have/are NIP, for the mere fact my DD just can't do it! She's 13 mo and hasn't NIP probably since 9 months or so because she's SO SO SO distractable! She almost never asks to nurse while we're out, and on the rare occasion that she does, she nurses for 1.2 seconds before doing a cartwheel off my lap and she's off again. Actually, that's pretty much the way it goes at home too, she likes to nurse upside down, and usually she'd rather watch DS play with a balloon than nurse. 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#16 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 AM

I nursed my son in public until he was almost 2...from that point on, it was harder because he was always so distraced.shrug.gif  When he became distracted he would latch off the nipple quickly causing the milk to spray.  From that time on, we go to a mothers room or i tell him he will have to wait.

Leah

#17 of 23 Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 PM

We rarely nurse in public now because 2 year old DD is usually so busy doing other things that she just isn't interested, but sometimes if she is due for a nap and starts to get fussy I can head her off by nursing, and I do it in public if that's where we happen to be. If I miss that early window of opportunity she could devolve into a stubborn, screaming tantrum so the way I see it, I'm doing everyone a favor by nursing and not subjecting them to her meltdowns!

I used to be really concerned with covering up, but dd most of the time doesn't like anything covering her head. I also tried those glamor mom nursing tanks that clip on to your nursing bra and go under any regular T-shirt, and they're great for discrete nursing on the go, but their smallest size is a little too big for me now so I've stopped using that too.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#18 of 23 Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM

2 1/2 and we still nurse in public pretty regularly. I am generally oblivious to social approbation, which helps a lot.

toddler.gif

#19 of 23 Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 AM

Nearly  22 months here and still NIP.  She does regularly expose me, but i just laugh at her - everyone and their dog has seen what i got at this stage LOL!

#20 of 23 Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM

I admit we don't NIP too often anymore. DD is 19 months, and likes to pop on and off. She also prefers to have my whole boob exposed when nursing, and will actually push my shirt off my breast and say "No!" when I try and keep myself covered. I don't mind NIPing, but I do mind my whole breast and nipple being frequently exposed.

She's pretty good about understanding "Not right now.", and she's also unlikely to ask to nurse when we're out because she's usually distracted and running around. But if she was upset and really needed to nurse, I would have no problem. Just brace for nipple exposure folks!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#21 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM

I only NIP a handful of times after 2 with my oldest, and never needed to after 2.5.  He wanted to nurse 24/7 so limiting it to at-home really helped.  My middle child had a terrible distraction phase from 4-12 months, and as a result, would only nurse lying down from 4 months on.  So, that limited NIP drastically!  Plus, unlike my first, she wasn't a comfort nurser.  She's still nursing at almost 6 years old - but still just lying down!  My third child just turned 3 and still sometimes NIP.  He would nurse all the time and is at 6-10 times as it is, so I try to limit it to at home unless we're out and about for more than 2-3 hours, then there's no reason for me to put it off. 

I haven't noticed strange looks or anything.  I've never had a single negative comment in all my years of NIP.  (Though DD wouldn't NIP well, my boys did - and my boys both have huge heads and long torso's making them look even older in my lap).  I live where NIP really isn't done - even for young babies but I guess I send out a vibe that it's normal!

#22 of 23 Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just was telling my husband that I can't remember the last time I nursed dd- 18 months old, in public. It isn't because I have denied her, it's just that she is SO busy now that she doesn't ask in public anymore. BUT....I see the pattern coming that is following my previouis 2 children's pattern that she will probably start again. She is just now starting to ask more at home. Before, it as mostly me offering. She would ask when she was tired, and wanted to nap, or at bedtime, but that's it. In the last few weeks, she has asked more often. 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#23 of 23 Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM

I still nurse my 21 month old in public.  Never really occurred to me not to.  I often forget he's not still a baby (except that he's running around raising hell, or course.)

It usually doesn't last long since he's so distractable.

In general I like it when people notice, to help the cause.  I foget that it is weird to anyone to nurse a toddler.  It should be normal, and it is in much of the world!  I am fortunate that he does not tend to expose my boob to the masses.  If he does, so be it.

PatioGardener likes this.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page