Gah, how long does it take for my nipple to heal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-14-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I EP pretty well for the last 15 months and just last week, I noticed one of the bottles of milk is a bit "strawberry milk" looking. I look down and low and behold, I have a tear on the top of my nipple.  I have been putting lansinoh (from my breastfeeding days of yore) and letting it air dry, putting breastmilk on it, etc. it looks better than last week but it still bleeds at random times, especially after pumping on the lowest suction. It seems like it takes forever to heal. I thought it only took a couple days.     

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I recently had a nipple wound caused by my son biting me - it seriously took over a month to heal.

However this was because each time he would latch on, it would re-open the wound - so the wound never had a chance to properly heal.

I turned a corner when I got a prescription for Bactroban from the docotor and applied this like crazy.  I also changed nursing positions with my son.

I think the key it to determine what is putting stress on your nipple and avoiding or reducing it - however because you EP I'm not sure how to get around this - could you go a few days with only minimal pumping from the affected breast, at least to give the nipple a break? I realize this would mean less output from that breast and possibly a temporary drop in your supply, but I think you really need to think long term about doing what it takes to allow the nipple to heal.  Also maybe a different sized flange (slightly larger?) would reduce the pressure on the nipple.

40 y/o married Mama, 3 y/o DS, Angel Baby lost in Sep 2013, Angel Baby lost March 2014.
#3 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh goodness... I forgot I asked this question here. But it has been over a month, and my nipple still hasn't healed. greensad.gif I have been carefully putting the pumps in the right position and it is the bigger flange that the company provides (the small ones weren't doing it). I only pump 2x a day now (I used to do 4x before this nipple caused me problems) Because it is pumping on the lowest suction, my input is not what it used to been. It definitely took a drop. I'm hoping to make it to 18 months (at the end of April) and if it's still bothering me, I may have to go down to once a day or a few times a week, if possible. Or call it quits (which I don't want)...

SAHM, college student, AND expecting #2 EDD March 20 2014! belly.gif(25)  * DS (10/2010)jog.gif *

Loving life with DBF (24) flowersforyou.gif since 10/2009 heartbeat.gif

Rainbow.gif *intactlact.gif* selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif* goorganic.jpg * familybed1.gif *cd.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 PM

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I too am going through something similar. I'm getting by with the newmann's ointment and ibuprofen about fifteen minutes before each session. I increased my water intake to compensate for nursing less, and I started taking some herbs to keep up my supply since l'm not nursing as much. I'm also trying to look at it from a long term perspective because I don't want to quit either. I think the other reason why it takes a long time to heal is because (in my case) every time my ds nurses it opens up my wounds. I read that you're just supposed to keep nursing through that. Anyway good luck, I hope they heal soon for you so you can continue nursing. 

#5 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

What about expressing instead of pumping for awhile? No suction on the nipple might help it heal.

#6 of 6 Old 03-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Aww I'm in the same boat and was wondering the same thing! Thursday night DD bit me, unintentionally, it hurt so bad I actually swore out loud. She then nursed and it seemed ok and I couldn't see any obvious wounds. It's been very sore eversince and just now under good light I found the bitemarks. It never bled, but it hurts a lot when she nurses and just by touching the nipple or having clothes touching it. Ouch. I started putting lanolin pure today and it does make it feel better. Is there anything else I can do - maybe rotate her into football hold so the bitemarks won't have as much suction? I breath deeply when she nurses, because it's her favorite side and the one that happens to produce more milk than the other side. I hope it will heal soon. Gaahw.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page