How to trigger fertility again? 16 mos bf and still no period. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My little one is 16 mo and he still nurses about four times a day and at least twice every night. Needless to say, my periods have not returned yet and I'm getting older and impatient and want to get pregnant again! And... I don't want to take a progesterone shot. I want to go natural, so to speak. I'm also not interesting in weaning him (maybe at nightime), because he has a hyperactive gag reflex and is not eating as much during the day as he should at his age.

Do you have any tips to get your cycles going again? Of course, I know it takes different measures for different women, but I'm looking for general ideas.

Thanks so much!

#2 of 8 Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM

I had the same ticking clock!  37 years old with a champ of a BFeeding 20 month old son and no period in sight.  I had to cut back on the BF to get it back.  He was easily distracted during the day and luckily for me loved solid food.  Days were easy.  He still wanted to nurse first thing in the morning and at bedtime though.  I got him to forget mornings by tempting him with fun breakfasts.  Daddy helped by leaping out of bed and rustling something up.  I would also put him off for a bit by telling him "mummy just has to ... first and then we'll sit down and nurse" then wait until he asked for it again - often he would forget.  When he was just nursing at bedtime my period finally came back.  It didn't take me as long to get pregnant the 2nd time.  I was much more familiar with my ovulation signs.  I mean't to keep him BF through the pregnancy but my nipples started hurting and I just couldn't do it.

#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM

i've been wondering about the same thing. my daughter just turned 10 months old so i'm not in a big rush but i'll be 35 in march, so i do feel a teeny bit of pressure. anyhow, i found this on kellymom:

"Many moms can conceive without deliberately changing their toddler's nursing patterns. There is no "magic" threshold of breastfeeding that will allow you to conceive -- every mother is different. Some moms need to stretch out nursing frequency and/or shorten nursing sessions to make it easier to conceive -- babies naturally do this themselves as they get older, so one of your options is simply to wait a bit.

Changes that are more abrupt tend to bring fertility back faster (e.g., cutting out one nursing session abruptly, rather than gradually decreasing nursing time at that session) --even if you continue to breastfeed a great deal-- this is why many mothers experience the return of fertility when their child sleeps through the night or starts solid foods. If you decide to make changes to your nursing pattern, the time of day that you make the change (e.g., cutting out or shortening a nighttime nursing session as opposed to a daytime nursing session) should not make that much of a difference."

if my period doesn't come back by the time my daughter is 15 months or so, then i think i will try something like this..

good luck!

eta:link

#4 of 8 Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM

Sometimes a sudden change in your nursing pattern can get it to come back. If you cut out feedings and stretch out the length of time baby goes without nursing it might be enough to get it back. It worked with my oldest dd. I tried to go a long stretch without nursing once she was 1 and it worked. I tend to get mine back when baby is at least a certain age and I am going a long stretch either during the day or night without nursing. 

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#5 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM

I just went through this. About a month ago with my 19 month old. I cut back to only nursing at bedtime, 4:00am (her only night waking, down from 3+), first thing in the morning and nap time. It involved saying "we'll have milk at nap/bed time" when she asked but it was worth it since I ovulated for the first time since she was born and got a BFP yesterday. :)

I'm a photosmile2.gif, a Mama to Q 7/10 bftoddler.gif, and #2 is on the way 11/12 stork-suprise.gif.

We cosleep with our babies, breastfeed, cloth diaper, and babywear. Looking into a med-free delivery this time.

#6 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Just because you haven't gotten your period back doesn't mean you're not fertile.  It's possible to ovulate without a regular period.  When my daughter was five months old, I was breastfeeding exclusively day and night, and got pregnant again (accidentally!) without ever getting one single period.

#7 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campend View Post

Just because you haven't gotten your period back doesn't mean you're not fertile.  It's possible to ovulate without a regular period.  When my daughter was five months old, I was breastfeeding exclusively day and night, and got pregnant again (accidentally!) without ever getting one single period.

When you ovulate you will either get pregnant (like campend and I did) or you will have a period. So yes, you can be fertile before you get your first PP period but it will only happen one time.

Keep an eye on your cervical fluid/mucous and when you get egg-white quality fluid, have sex. :) I had several months where I experienced days of fertile cervical fluid before I actually ovulated but when you see it, it's worth a shot!

I'm a photosmile2.gif, a Mama to Q 7/10 bftoddler.gif, and #2 is on the way 11/12 stork-suprise.gif.

We cosleep with our babies, breastfeed, cloth diaper, and babywear. Looking into a med-free delivery this time.

#8 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM

Maybe look into supplements like Vitex to help get your cycle back sooner.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page